1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Solved 'Beta' Original Robo 3D - Connected But No Control

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by gearprinter, Nov 14, 2020.

1. gearprinter

gearprinter Member

I managed to get the printer connected to Matter Control, the issue is that if I click my control buttons they don't do anything. Preheat doesn't work, movement controls don't do anything, fan control does nothing, etc.

Any ideas what is causing this?

2. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

Are you sure it is connected? You reading ambient temperatures for the hotend and heated bed?

Check the GCode terminal in MatterControl see if it has errors ... (scroll all the way back to the top to read it all)

3. gearprinter

gearprinter Member

It says "Status: Connected" in matter control.

It displays the temperature of the extruder but not the bed. When I click preheat on either of them it does nothing.

Here's the log output: pastebin (DOT) com/fUjR42Jz

4. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

Follow the link I posted above on the words "MatterControl" and open the GCode terminal and see what it says. Copy paste the entire log into notepad and then save it and attach it to this thread.

The main screen in MC is only giving you the online status, any errors will be in the GCode terminal.

#4 mark tomlinson, Nov 15, 2020
    Last edited: Nov 15, 2020
  5. gearprinter

gearprinter Member

Print log 1: clicked a bunch of buttons

Print log 2: tried to print test circle

Attached Files:

6. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

Well, MC does not appear to be sending anything.
    I'd try a different slicer/host program for starters.
    There are no errors from the printer it is just not getting commanded to do much of anything.
    I do not even see the commands for it to heat up the extruder/bed (M104 is heat extruder or M109 is heat and wait)
    M140 is set bed temp and m190 is set bed temp and wait -- neither of those is in there so it is never going to print if it doesn't first heat the printer up ... at a minimum the extruder should be getting commanded to heat up

7. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

<-ok T:22.6 /210.0 B:0.0 /50.0 T0:22.6 /210.0 @:127 B@:0 [1.194]

OK, that looks as though it is heated.... nothing else is happening -- is it actually reflecting the temperatures correctly?
    I would still suggest a different slicer as a test.

EDIT: My bad -- it is NOT heating which means it will not print.
    This is the hotend being told to go to 210c and it is currently at 22.6 c (room temp)

T:22.6 /210.0

This is the bed being told to go to 50c and it is at 0 (which means the thermistor is faulty or bad connection, BUT that would likely not cause it to not print) It should be reading room temp (mid 20's C)

B:0.0 /50.0

#7 mark tomlinson, Nov 15, 2020
  8. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

You can experiment with it in the GCode terminal. Give it this command:

M140 S80

(use upper case just like that) type that in and hit enter.
    Then see if the bed heats up.

You can also try:

M104 S185

same way -- type it in and hit enter (or SEND) and see if the hotend heat up

In both cases watch for any errors.

Not all R1 betas had heated beds so if yours does not just ignore the testing/temperatures for the bed and try the hotend.

9. gearprinter

gearprinter Member

The printer has some mods done to it. E3D v6 1.75mm hot end, bike plate upgraded to robo 3d oroginal hot plate, some other stuff too I think. Just going by what the previous owner told me.

I ran Slic3r, connected my printer, added some settings and tried to print a small gear from a .stl file. The progress bar loaded the print then nothing happened.

I opened Matter Control and tried the commands in the terminal but the bed / hot end don't heat up.

Screen capture added as attachment

Attached Files:

10. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

Well, it is not responding to the commands to heat up that is for sure :)
    Your picture on the right the last command is the host program telling it to heat the hotend and it is ignoring it.

Try a new USB cable (like new -- decent quality one). If that fails to help then I'd suggest reloading the firmware.
    To make that work we will need a list of the mods (like the E3D) since some of them will have to be enabled in the firmware (like the E3D).

I suspect the USB cable... Unless there is some sort of other modification to the electronics/power supply or failed component it should be heating when it gets the M104 command.

11. gearprinter

gearprinter Member

I'm not sure if it makes a difference but the cable works if I attach it to an external USB or printer. I'll grab a new one tomorrow just in case.

I'll attach some images of the printer. I noticed theres a loose plug underneath coming off the main ribbon that goes to the arduino. Could that be the issue? (6.png)

What's the proper way to flip this printer on its side so I can get better pictures of the bottom? Is that safe to do?

Attached Files:

• 1.png
      1.png
      File size:
      1.5 MB
      Views:
    • 3.png
      3.png
      File size:
      1 MB
      Views:
    • 4.png
      4.png
      File size:
      411.4 KB
      Views:
    • 5.png
      5.png
      File size:
      531.1 KB
      Views:
    • 6.png
      6.png
      File size:
      1.8 MB
      Views:
    • 2.png
      2.png
      File size:
      1.5 MB
      Views:
  12. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

OK, That plug needs to go somewhere :)
    Can you trace it back to see where it is attached on the other end? Once we know that we can show you where it needs to land.
    I can't tell from the cable/connector since Robo was not really very consistent over the years (and certainly not on the original one) with wires/colors/connectors. It looks like either one of the endstops or a thermistor. Either could cause your issues since if an endstop is unplugged the printer can't HOME and if it doesn't HOME all axis -- it will not print.

You can flip it on the side without problems just be careful when you do because if you don't pay attention the X crossbar/carriage can flop around and get loose from the screws that it sits on. An easy fix is you wrap masking tape or blue painters tape around the crossbar and one or both threaded rods. That keeps it in place while you turn it over and it is easy to remove when you are done.

#12 mark tomlinson, Nov 15, 2020
  13. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

If you can't figure out where that wire goes -- take a closeup picture of the RAMPS board (if you flip the printer over it is the top electronics board) and I can see which of them is missing a connector :)

14. gearprinter

gearprinter Member

There's a lot of clutter blocking the view of the connections, hopefully these images help. If not I'll take a video and try to cover every area of the board. I took an image of the power source connections too:

PS - is that board an arduino? I installed arduino drivers maybe that's causing issues?

Attached Files:

• 1.png
      1.png
      File size:
      976.3 KB
      Views:
    • 2.png
      2.png
      File size:
      1.3 MB
      Views:
    • 3.png
      3.png
      File size:
      1.4 MB
      Views:
    • 4.png
      4.png
      File size:
      1.3 MB
      Views:
    • 5.png
      5.png
      File size:
      603.4 KB
      Views:
    #14 gearprinter, Nov 15, 2020
  15. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

There are two boards in the printer.
    1) Arduino Mega 2560
    2) RAMPS 1.4 shield on top of the Arduino

Installing the Arduino drivers should not cause an issue -- they must be installed for the printer to work correctly.
    From what I can see of the wiring it looks OK.

16. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

If it runs under the bed it is probably the thermsitor for the bed and that would explain why your bed was reading "0" instead of Room temperature.

17. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

This will help show you where it should be landed if it is the thermistor for the bed

RAMPS.png

18. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

No, this is not a common issue

Something has come loose wiring wise :) Or some electronics have died... we can sort it out.

In some ways the bed thermistor is involved so fixing that (assuming it is disconnected) will help.
    One of the first things most host programs/slicers do is command the printer to heat before it will try to print and if the thermistor is disconnected/dead then it will never get past first-base. It will be stuck in a loop waiting for the bed temperature to rise and it will not.

#18 mark tomlinson, Nov 16, 2020
    Last edited: Nov 16, 2020
  19. gearprinter

gearprinter Member

Thanks for that image it's very helpful!

A few updates:
    • Bought a new USB 2.0 cable and strangely it doesn't allow the printer to connect anymore so I'm using the old one again.
    • I'm officially retarded. Want to know what the main problem was? I plugged the power cable BUT DIDN'T FLIP THE POWER SWITCH, I just assumed it was on (especially since it said it was connected with no issue). Good lord that's embarrassing I hang my head in shame :p. Once I flipped the switch a fan powered on immediately, I could control the movement in Matter Control, the tip could be preheated etc.. I did get an error (attached).
    • An issue I noticed is that the bed still can't be preheated and the base temperature isn't being recorded. I'll try to get that wire plugged in.

Attached Files:

20. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

Ah yes, the old "power the arduino from the USB cable" trick :)