1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

BRAND NEW PRINTER Robo3d r2 temp readings

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by Park A., Dec 16, 2017.

1. Park A.

Park A. New Member

I only emphasize the newness because this printer is one that was just sent to me to replace the r2 that I sent back to robo3d because it was junk... I thought MAYBE it was just a bad unit.

This r2 printer is displaying some way-off temperatures. The readout is indicating that the extruder on an idle printer is holding at 92.7C, and the bed is holding at 71.6 -- both are actually cool to the touch. I haven't loaded anything so there's no gcode changing any temps, and the target temp is 0.0C for each.

I've checked the thermistor and inspected the hotend; all wires, pogo pins, and connections seem ok. I've disconnected, connected, and re-seated all plugs on both boards under the floor of the printer, on the extruder housing, and checked all ribbons. I've flashed new firmware, updated when prompted, and restarted the printer a few times tonight. This thing really thinks the extruder is 92.7°C, and the bed is 71.6°C while just sitting idle on my desk. There are minor fluctuations in both temps (less than 1°C) indicating nothing is frozen on screen.

When I try to print, the target temp populates, but the actual temp value doesn't change. However, the printer stops and I get the following error (see photo), always during auto-leveling.

I'm at my wits' end with robo3d. Please help.

Attached Files:

2. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

Sounds like you need to get back on the phone with Robo and get them to try again.
    Something is wrong probably with their control board (which is custom).

3. Park A.

Park A. New Member

UN.REAL... robo3d had single handedly induced a special kind of loathing for an activity I once thoroughly enjoyed.

The mere thought of having to go through, again, what I went through with robo3d and my first r2, is what I imagine to be the kind of experience that inspires an individual to start an insurgency.

"Get back on the phone with robo..."? I WISH there was another option, like, shoving my arm into a running garbage disposal. Or, gouging my eyeballs out with a grapefruit spoon.

Anyhow, thank you, Mark.

4. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

If you bought the printer from someone else (like Amazon) then by all means GO THROUGH THEM :)
    They will happily handle a return/replacement/refund. I wish Robo had the same approach directly.

Don't settle though, insist on getting a working printer -- that is what you paid for.
    When they arrive working they really are good printers (really good, bordering on great). However when they are NOT working ... it is complicated to sort them out and there are a number of custom parts.

5. Park A.

Park A. New Member

Unfortunately, I purchased through Robo3d directly.

In other news, I've got another persistent error message now as well. Photo attached. I've also included this info in my correspondence with Robo3d.

Attached Files:

mark tomlinson likes this.
  6. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

That error usually means that it lost connection to the bed heater and that is usually a problem with the connector (the pogo pins).* They have a replacement connector to sort that.

The error is spectacularly unhelpful (in case you missed that)

*and apparently when it rains, it pours since you have BOTH problems :)

#6 mark tomlinson, Dec 16, 2017
    Last edited: Dec 16, 2017
    Park A. likes this.
  7. supercazzola

supercazzola Active Member

I feel your frustration, but especially after what you went through, it sounds like you should get in touch with Jason or Allen. When you call Robo, insist that you get one of them to speak with you, or call you beck. They will make it right.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Park A. likes this.
  8. Park A.

Park A. New Member

You guys make up one of the best online communities I've ever known, so thanks for that. And thanks for all the help so far; I'm still having issues with my R2, but somehow I remain hopeful.

I was just in CA and stopped by MatterHackers and I have got to say those folks over there are absolutely phenomenal resources for the 3d printing community. What a cool experience it was to sit and chat with everyone over there. If anyone gets the opportunity, I recommend popping in.

I'll continue to leverage the advice you all have provided. I opened my help ticket with Robo3d on Saturday morning and still haven't heard anything back from anyone over there. I can't help but wonder if it's me that is jacking up my R2 machines, but I haven't done anything different with the R2 than I've done with any other 3d printer. Is the R2's software just THAT fragile? Has anyone had any luck finding specs on the robo3d main electronics board? The board has a URL on it, something like robo3d.com/r2-electronics, but that is a dead end. Has that info been moved somewhere?

Thanks again, everyone.

9. WheresWaldo

WheresWaldo Volunteer ( ͠° ͟ʖ ͡°)
    Staff Member

@Park A. The Robo board is a RAMPS 1.4 clone with a few extra connectors added to support connections to the upper and lower boards (Extruder) and the bed board. With a few exceptions there is no available data other than that information. I have tested a lot of the board personally and can vouch for the fact that generic Marlin, with a few configuration items, works on their board. Some design decisions appear to be efforts to save as much cost as possible. Nothing in their mainboard design is there to make printing any more reliable. The webpage silkscreened on the board has never been live, as far as I know.

The RaspberryPi3 is a standard rPi3 with nothing modified running a Robo maintained version of OctoPi as well as a OctoPrint plugin that takes over the local screen. Nothing special there.

mark tomlinson and Park A. like this.
  10. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

Their first tier support is not super fast, but they will get back with you. Ultimately you probably need 2nd tier support (which involves scheduling a time with them -- https://robo3d.com/pages/schedule-an-appointment). At least if you need replacement parts and detailed troubleshooting. If you want to get in touch with tier 1 immediately, call them ...

Robo HQ is still in San Diego, worth a stop-by if you are out that way too I imagine :)

11. Shrey

Shrey Active Member

I too had this error, needless to say in the end after a month of troubleshooting on email back and forth I had to to send it in to get it repaired. I received the printer last week and so far it's working good. I will check the board to see if anything is different

Park A. likes this.