1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Brand new R2 issues -Wavy Prints

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by Rob Johnson, Jul 22, 2017.

1. Bemster

Bemster New Member

Well, just heard from Robo Dave. He sent me a Fedex shipping label so I guess I am packing up the printer tomorrow night. Now the question is how long to repair or an entire new unit.

Bemster

mark tomlinson and Geof like this.
  2. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

That is something you should ask Robo Dave :D. We have no clue what their lead times are (I've heard of people getting them in a few days to others getting them in a few weeks). It would be a guessing game unless you contact them and ask :D

3. daniel871

daniel871 Well-Known Member

4. Rob Johnson

Rob Johnson New Member

Well, it's been radio silence from Robo since they said they were going to send me a replacement leadscrew/motor. Maybe they have but I've asked a couple times this week just for an email update on shipping status with no reply.

To make matters worse, the second R2 printer I had ordered (we're setting up a print lab so I had ordered two of these to try out) has the same issue -really wavy prints. This one showed up in worse shape. The bed was damaged and the snap that keeps the cover of the electronics under the build plate in place was snapped off. It's a shame -a lot of things I really like about this printer are ruined by poor packing design and, in my opinion, a Z axis assembly that simply isn't rigid enough (I know some R2's out there are working great but there seems to be several that suffer from this design that is on the edge of being robust enough but not quite).

I'm still holding out hope that the leadscrew/motor assembly arrives and is easy to install... The second printer, fortunately purchased via amazon, I'm returning.

mark tomlinson and daniel871 like this.
  5. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

Yep, keep returning them until you get a working one.
    They are not the only one with this issue, my delta came in looking like it had been dragged down the road behind the UPS truck...

Geof likes this.
  6. Bemster

Bemster New Member

I was little surprised you got a motor/screw assembly replacement and they told me to pack everything up except for the filament. My printer is not scheduled to arrive at Robo until next Wednesday, 8/2. I wish they cross ship another printer once they see Fedex has the printer on the way back.

I ran across Braydon's video last night:

I had to reply and give a honest opinion. I really look forward to use this printer but I do not like waiting - LOL.

Let us know if you get the motor/screw assembly.

7. Rob Johnson

Rob Johnson New Member

Just got shipping notice that components are on the way! Very curious to see if this fixes the problem and how easy/difficult the installation is.

Printer number two (completely separate purchase) is going back to Amazon (without a replacement -just $$ back). I'll be thrilled if I can get one machine going but not sure I'm sticking with this model for future printers in our print lab. This thing is just isn't as robust as I'd hoped it would be.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

8. Bemster

Bemster New Member

Cthig - so what happen with your call to Robo on 7/27?

9. daniel871

Send me a PM and I'll suggest a retail 3d printer that's super-robust for the price point.

10. Bemster

Bemster New Member

Printer fixed (I assume) and I just got a shipping notice for delivery next Tuesday. It took 4 days to get there. 1 week to repair and 4 days back. Robo Dave say they had to wait for parts. Hopefully the unit gets back to me in the same condition minus the bad screw. I am suspecting this was a manufacturing issue and not shipping but that is only my opinion.

Rob - how did your screw update go?

Bemster

Geof and mark tomlinson like this.
  11. Bemster

Bemster New Member

Printer came today and the box looked like it was rolled down a mountain (or two). Inner box corners beat up badly. I found numerous scratches on the rear plastic molding, lower molding and the screen had several also. In addition, several deep scratches on the bed. That sucks. The door stop with magnets and the Robo plate was on the bottom of the shipping box with magnets that fell out. Robo I ask me to return everything but the filament. I thought they be nice and send me another roll for my trouble but no luck. Also there was grease all over the back of the enclosure - just a mess.

Any how I jogged the Z-axis up and down and it moves smoothly now. I really think this was a manufacturing issue and not shipping. Set the bed level and printed a 1" cube. Turn pretty good (see picture), one on the left just printed and compared to the old print (on the right). You will notice the same Z banding that matches the exact width/pitch as before. However, after measuring several places it looks to only be roughly .005" width difference per side.

I am pissed about the scratches as I had prefect unit before but seems to be working now. I will print the benchy tonight and see what happens.

Bemster

Attached Files:

daniel871 likes this.
  12. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

@Bemster you bought a new unit, not a scratched one. Contact Robo and ask a machine be RMA to you due to "shipping damages". You should have a shiny new machine :D (of course if your fine as are that is ok too, but if unhappy by all means contact them, they will make it right)

mark tomlinson and daniel871 like this.
  13. daniel871

Seconding @Geof 's post. Always RMA for shipping damages until you get a unit that you are happy with.

Wish I'd followed that lesson with my original R1 back in 2015.

Geof and mark tomlinson like this.
  14. Bemster

Bemster New Member

Hi guys,

I am happy to report I have received a new printer yesterday and it arrive in great shape. Robo made improvements to package including some I recommended. Printing good with only an issue on overhangs. Trying sun filament now and see if there are any differences.

Thanks,

Brian

Attached Files:

OutsourcedGuru likes this.