1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Brittle filament

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by aaronwstone, Aug 18, 2017.

1. aaronwstone

aaronwstone New Member

** STILL NEW TO THIS**

i bought some of the 1/2 price ROBO 3D PLA (glow in the dark is the worst) but its really really brittle. I literally just snaps off the roll. Anyone else experience this with that filament? Is that just the nature of PLA? I keep this stuff in their bags and only open when its time to use it..

2. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

PLA (like most filament) can absorb moisture from the air and as it does this it becomes brittle.
    If you have new spools that are brittle then they are really old spools poorly stored :)

You can dry i back out, but honestly I would not do that to a new spool, I would insist that it be replaced.

Perhaps that is why it was 1/2 priced... If you store it in a container (plastic bag for example) with some desiccant then if left for a few days* the filament will start to dry back out.

*longer you leave it the better it will be

3. sgomes

sgomes Active Member

Just a quick note to point out that most glow in the dark filament is abrasive, because of the additive that is used for making it glow. Your brass nozzle may start to wear out, and you may end up having to replace it much sooner than you normally would. Consider replacing it with something harder than brass when you do :)

4. Warp Norman

Warp Norman Member

5. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

This.
    Just go hardened steel though, stainless steel is a waste generally speaking :)

6. aaronwstone

aaronwstone New Member

oh my, this is intense.. lol

I did notice that I was having a hard time getting it to slide in the feeder tube thingy (technical term).