1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Answered Broken part, fixable?

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by Just Kelly, Sep 9, 2017.

1. Just Kelly

Just Kelly New Member

So I started my print before I went out to run errands, and when I came back the print carriage was all the way at the top of the Z axis. When I investigated, I found this:

[​IMG]

Looks like that bit broke off, and now it's winding itself around when I try to adjust the z-axis. Pulled out the wire to the motor, too. Anyway, the broken bit, is it in any way fixable? Is it a send-it-in kind of deal?

2. Thomas

Thomas Member

It is supposed to break free. Take the top off and just manually spin the z rods to lower your x carriage back down to that part that is free. It is actually a clamp. You will find a little screw that loosens it from the brass nut. Free the brass nut on both sides, spin them so they are level with each other, reseat that plastic part back onto the x carriage on both sides and then manually spin the z rods until the whole thing lowers down and the brass nuts seat back into the plastic clamp then tighten back up with the little screw. Perform manual and software bed leveling afterward a few times

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just Kelly, Geof and mark tomlinson like this.
  3. Just Kelly

Just Kelly New Member

OK, got the clamp back into position, and tweaked the z-rods to as close to even as I could eyeball, but now when I fire this thing up it doesn't seem to be able to find the print bed. Like if I start a print when it does the auto bed leveling, then as it hits each of the 9 stations it just goes up, never down. Auto Home doesn't work either. So I'm getting there, but any ideas on the latest problem?

4. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

One of your z switches is not seated correctly. Can you please take a photo of them and we can tell you which one is right and which is wrong

5. Just Kelly

Just Kelly New Member

Uhm, ok. Where are the z-switches at, exactly?

6. Thomas

Thomas Member

Sorry man I forgot to tell you that is very common to happen after this. Yes, as Geof stated one of those switches is off. It doesn't take much. Trust me I've had to do this a quite a number of times myself. Once you have done it a few times, it gets easier to detect and remedy. Repeat the process if you have to or look really really close at the distance-orientation relationships between all the parts. X-carriage to plastic clamp that came loose and those to the rod nut and the switches then compare side to side. I found it helpful to take some close up pictures with my phone with flash on. With a phone camera you can get in there up close then zoom in on your image after to compare even better for what may be off kilter. One you get it right take new pics and save a few right and wrong shots. They will help for next time. The wires for the Z switches easily get dislodged so make sure they are snuggly attached. It is a frustrating repair despite how simple it actually is. You can do it! I can tell you I have had cases of this where I couldn't figure out what was off and just kept repeating and repeating the process until resolved. Good luck.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Geof likes this.
  7. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

The z switches are attached to that bracket in your first picture with the clip arm. They are on both z threaded rods

Thomas likes this.