1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Solved Bubbling Issue

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by Kyler Williams, Sep 14, 2015.

1. WheresWaldo

WheresWaldo Volunteer ( ͠° ͟ʖ ͡°)
    Staff Member

Problem with bubbling like your images, is that it could be any of a number of issues. Such as (in no particular order), too fast a first layer, bad adhesion to the bed, slightly off z_offset, a bad roll of filament (it happens to good companies too), more .... Try the simplest first, slow down the first layer to about half your current speed and see if that helps. Most filaments stick better to themselves than to the bed, so you might need to go real slow to allow the first layer to stick.

2. Kyler Williams

What temps do you use for PLA? Maybe 210 is too hot I was just going off what cura/mattercontrol suggests for PLA. Also I just ran the same test print using abs with the same exact gcode the only difference I made was 235 hotend with 80 bed and it moved to right one instead of the left one(as showed in the pics before)... Man this is killing me!

Thanks,

#22 Kyler Williams, Sep 15, 2015
    Last edited: Sep 15, 2015
  3. WheresWaldo

WheresWaldo Volunteer ( ͠° ͟ʖ ͡°)
    Staff Member

I use 195°C / 50°C but don't have a single profile that allows the first layer to go more than 30% of the overall speed. Slower tends to stick to the bed better, at least for me, then layer two and up I can crank up the speeds.

4. Kyler Williams

Ok I'll give that a try when I get off work today. Do you have Skype or some kind of voip that we could talk about a few things. You seem like you know what your doing and I just have too many questions.

Thanks,

Sent from my Zenfone 2 using Tapatalk

5. Kyler Williams

Here are my current settings I'm testing for PLA. What do you think about the speeds? Could it be a cooling issue? Ive been looking at printing http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:967881 thinking maybe it would help.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Thanks,

#25 Kyler Williams, Sep 15, 2015
    Last edited: Sep 15, 2015
  6. William Muraski

@WheresWaldo i understand your point and the big picture of 'does it really make a difference', i just want to understand the complexity's better and their reasoning on why it is so, nothing more.

@Kyler Williams i agree as well, but still using whole numbers you will still end up with a decimal integer that you have to decide if you want to go on the high side or the low side of it. i.e. 723/98*100=737.7551
    so why not get the best possible number first by keeping the decimal points till the finale number and then make the decision.(just seem's more logical to me)

7. Printed Solid

Printed Solid Volunteer Admin
    Staff Member

So, decimal places aside...

It looks like you have a combo of the nozzle being too close to the bed at the first layer and the glass not being clean or not treated with something to help with adhesion.
    Since the carriage / rod assembly on the robo is free floating, you can get a build up of pressure in the nozzle and then bouncing which gives you some spots that don't stick. It's pretty weird and relatively unique to Robo in my experience. You should be able to increase your z-offset and get better first layer.
    I've also found that increasing the speed at the first layer helps with this as well.

In short, you're getting the wagon wheels :) printedsolid.com/firstlayer

8. Kyler Williams

When you say increase you mean go from ex. Z-1.0 to Z-1.5 or Z-.5? I read the link you posted and that makes sense I'm just trying to understand that Z offset(-1.0 means higher -.5 means lower right?) thanks for your help.

Thanks,

9. Kyler Williams

So I did some more research and from what I can see I am in the perfect height. If i go lower than 1.0 I'm wagon wheels if I go higher im too round. So I think my zoffset is fine. I speed it up and it starts peeling from the bed If I slow down then it gets worse.

I think I have a setting hosed up in cura... I tried the same thing with mattercontrol and it looks like it's extruding a wider line?... I'm at a complete loss I think I'm going to wipe cura and restart from the beginning. I appreciate everyone's input I'm grateful for the amount of support I've gotten from here. I just don't understand what I'm doing wrong and hope I can figure it out before I waste this spool...

Thanks again.

10. William Muraski

if you chose to wipe, save the numbers of what you have to compare only. have you tried to increase the Z axis by .01 at a time to get that first layer width rather than doing .1 steps? (for my unit, my offset works best at 1.11 if i go to 1.12 it's round, if i go to 1.1 it's pancaked to much and in the high spot's rubs the bed)

mark tomlinson and Printed Solid like this.
  11. Printed Solid

Printed Solid Volunteer Admin
    Staff Member

^this.
    A lower, more negative, number means further from the bed, but if you're going in .5 steps it is way too much.
    Think about your offset in terms of layer height. .5 is about two typical layers, so you could be swinging from being two layers 'under the bed' to start over to 2 layers over the bed.

12. Kyler Williams

How It looks to me I have a good bead. Can someone show me a pic of theirs? It looks like to me if I go lower I'm going to be wagon wheels and if I go higher it'll be round...

13. Kyler Williams

I wasn't actually moving .5 I was using it as an example.

14. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

15. Kyler Williams

Yes Mr printed solid himself posted that link already but according to those images my zoffset is perfect. I was hoping someone could post a picture of their skirt so I could compare.

16. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

That is a perfect skirt so if yours looks like that you have something else going on.
    Mine normally looks pretty much like that printing layer one. Yours should too.

17. William Muraski

are you using anything like stick glue or hair spray on the bed?
    what are your bed temp and hotend temp set at now?
    when you print, does it have a sound similar to popping popcorn?

18. Kyler Williams

I will record a video tomorrow of mine printing and will upload it so you can see exactly what it's doing... Maybe I'm not explaining it right.
    I'm using suave max hold hair spray 195 hotend 50 bed when I use pla it's silent when I use abs it sounds like popcorn.

19. William Muraski

take the bed off and clean (scrub) the bed, hairspray it heavy outside the printer if you don't do so already, replace the bed and set the bed temp to 54 - 60 for PLA and try the first layer again, post a pic of the results.

the popcorn popping sound from what i have read is most likely moisture in the filament, you need to dry that roll out before use.

mark tomlinson likes this.
  20. Kyler Williams

The bed on the R1 Plus doesn't unplug unless you open the bottom and unplug it from the arduino so I've been spraying it on the printer.

And yeah I've read that too I've been thinking that was because I was printing too hott. I haven't really printed with abs yet and wasn't able to pin point that yet and really it's not continously poping either.