1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Solved Bubbling up

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by Jella_joe, Jul 13, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jella_joe

Jella_joe Member

So now when I print I can get the first layer right. I tried with and without a raft...same result. The print by the second or third layer of the actual print seems to just bubble off the print bed.

2. WheresWaldo

WheresWaldo Volunteer ( ͠° ͟ʖ ͡°)
    Staff Member

Your layer height should not exceed 60-70% of your nozzle width, with no other information provided or pictures this is just a guess.

3. Jella_joe

Jella_joe Member

Here are some photos

Attached Files:

4. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

What material?

5. Jella_joe

Jella_joe Member

PLA

Did I raise that Z too high or something...maybe

6. danzca6

danzca6 Well-Known Member

What temps for bed and hotend are you using and are you using anything on the build plate to help with adhesion like hairspray? Also looks like your Z height is a bit too high. What speeds are you printing as well. I printed that same part, and for some reason had to go fairly slow on the first layer.

Are other things like a calibration cube printing ok or just this one model doing this to you? Also, are you using an oiler with the PLA?

7. Jella_joe

Jella_joe Member

I lowered the Z and it really does not look like it's level. I lowered it to M565 Z-.28 and it prints on one half and not the other. The nozzle is .4 mm

How do I level it? Isn't this supposed to auto calibrate at the start of a print?

#7 Jella_joe, Jul 13, 2016
    Last edited: Jul 13, 2016
  8. danzca6

Z-.28 seems pretty low to me. Also, you can manually make sure your x axis is close to level with the bed so that you aren't relying totally on the auto bed leveling if you are seeing other results from one side or the other of the bed.

9. Jella_joe

Jella_joe Member

How do I do that? the back (+Y) is lower than the front of the bed. piece of paper between the magnet and the bed? or something more technical

10. danzca6

That will work. I use a paper punch and the circle it creates out of the paper is just right to stack under the bed magnet. Hopefully is isn't too many needed or it will interfere with the magnet sticking they way it should, but these are pretty strong magnets.

Still curious on what temps you are using and if you are seeing good 1st layers on a calibration cube to make sure you aren't pushing the filament down too much. That gives you raised ridges where each pass connect. Also first layer speed could cause issues. You may need to slow it down for this print.

11. danzca6

looking at the pics again it does look like your nozzle is pushing into the layer and dragging. You don't want that.

12. Jella_joe

Jella_joe Member

210 C extruder and 50 C bed. It is set at -.7 mm right now. The filament had those temps printed on it. I only use -.28 mm for the Z to trouble shoot. I did the paper thing and the print looks great so far. I will post again soon.

13. danzca6

ok, temps look good for the bed. I normally do around 200 for the extruder with PLA, but 210 isn't too bad. The one thing I ran into with this print is that I needed to clean off my bed really well and then put a fresh coat of hairspray on. I had a bit of buildup and that was throwing my layers off enough since it was a large print area. Hopefully this time around will have it all come out perfect. I like that filament mount. Just be very careful not to drop your filament onto the glass bed when mounting on top of the printer. Makes for a bad day....so I hear. ;)

Jella_joe likes this.
  14. Jella_joe

Jella_joe Member

Ok so first layer prints looking pretty solid. Second layer prints looking like velcro then the next layers try to print right but the second layer was so messed up that it makes all kinds of noise.

15. danzca6

Noise? you're hearing some odd mechanical noises on subsequent layers after the second?

16. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

Did the Z steps get mis-set in CONFIGURATION.H I wonder?
    There are at least three different possible values for this across all of the models... you need to make sure yours matches your printer.
    I assume this did not always happen and is new behavior?
    Have you modified/reloaded the firmware at any point?

danzca6 likes this.
  17. Jella_joe

Jella_joe Member

Just from the texture of the second layer

18. Jella_joe

Jella_joe Member

It says that I am up to date of firmware. I am using MatterControl set on ROBO 3D R1 & R1 Plus. The only thing I have changed:
    G28 X0 Y0 Z0 ; home all axes
    G1 Z5 F5000 ; lift nozzle
    M109 S[temperature] ; set the extruder temp and wait
    G28 X0 Y0 Z0 ; Home Z again in case there was filament on nozzle
    G29 ; probe the bed
    M565 Z-.6

I have the glue that came with the unit. Elmer's all purpose clear. I haven't had this long and it's my first 3D Printer. I clean the surface almost every time I run. I did the calibration circle and it's fine. I printed some little short stuff and was trying to move bigger. I added today's print of the calibration circle.

Attached Files:

#18 Jella_joe, Jul 13, 2016
    Last edited: Jul 13, 2016
  19. danzca6

And you can manually move the Z up and down without any noise? If you haven't done any firmware updates you should be ok. Unless there is an issue with not having enough power to the Z motors and it isn't going up as much as it should.

A couple things to suggest. What print speeds are you using? Another, have you tried using something like NetFabb to repair any issues with the STL prior to printing? I do that on everything I download and even stuff I make just to make sure.

Sorry your having these issues. Never fun, but you will learn from your adventures in getting successful prints. haha

Jella_joe likes this.
  20. Jella_joe

Jella_joe Member

It says minimum print speed is 10 mm/s with slow down if layer is under 10 seconds

Attached Files:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.