1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Solved Bubbling up

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by Jella_joe, Jul 13, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jella_joe

Jella_joe Member

2. Ryan TeGantvoort

Ryan TeGantvoort Active Member

One of the first things I did when I received the printer was decrease the speeds. My default speed is 50mm/s for 0.2mm layers. One of the next changes was decreasing the Acceleration settings, thanks to everyone in this forum.

Which are these values in the firmware (configuration.h) around line 450:

#define DEFAULT_MAX_ACCELERATION {600,600,100,10000}

#define DEFAULT_ACCELERATION 600

These are what my printer is currently set at. Yours will probably be something like {9000,9000,100,10000} and 1300 I think. Those factory settings are absolutely ludicrous.

You can modify your XY Jerk if you want at this time too. My Jerk setting is 30% my print speed, the suggested starting range is 20-30% your de. So I print at 50mm/s and my XY Jerk is 15.0mm/s. (50*0.3=15)

As for the cooling issue, does MatterControl have a setting like the one in the attached image? I have never had the issue you describe so I have never had to adjust this setting in S3D. I would first try lowering your extruder temp, try like 195 or 200. Are your prints stringy when printing at 210? Try decreasing print speed a bit. Make sure fans are on 100% after the first few layers.

The Lead Screw Upgrade should definitely be one of your first mods though.

Jella_joe and mark tomlinson like this.
  3. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

Yes, yes they are....

Marlin defaults I suspect.

Jella_joe and Ryan TeGantvoort like this.
  4. Jella_joe

Jella_joe Member

OK. I slowed everything down. The prints are looking way more solid! My husband got on the computer to look at something on the internet and at a similar time the printer stopped traveling in the z direction. I am hoping it was because he interrupted the print so to speak. I am going to try again. I was printing at 45mm/sec just because I really want this print to be nice. lol I had made the settings lower than factory based on a video but yours were lower so I went with those. Oh, the temperature was already set at 200.

#64 Jella_joe, Jul 21, 2016
    Last edited: Jul 21, 2016
    Ryan TeGantvoort likes this.
  5. Ryan TeGantvoort

Ryan TeGantvoort Active Member

Great! Hopefully everything is working out for you now.

Jella_joe likes this.
  6. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

Grab and lcd controller so you can get the computer back :)

danzca6 and Jella_joe like this.
  7. Jella_joe

Jella_joe Member

ok....we were printing perfectly and then this happened! There is supposed to be a cylindrical extrusion there....the filament stopped feeding. I fixed the feed. Is there a way to save this? It's perfectly flat. It just finished the rest of the body.

Attached Files:

8. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

Typically no. If your really lucky and you paused the print and didnt jar or move anything you could press resume and it might finish...but in my experience its always a "start over"

9. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

Yep, generally the approach on a failure at any level is do-over.
    You could experiment with sinking that part of the model that printed below the bed (in the slicer preview) and then slicing/printing since most slicers will ignore the parts below the bed. You then glue them together. BUT... not what I would consider worth the effort to get it right.

10. danzca6

danzca6 Well-Known Member

I assume you are using PLA. First you want to make sure to use an oiler with PLA. This could also be a filament quality issue. Did the extruder gear chew the filament? Did the filament possible have a knot in it? They look like a bulge. I have had those in cheap spools of filament and it just stops because it can't be pushed into the extruder. So filament quality is something to consider.

Unfortunately, the guys above are right and the print is a loss at this point. Sorry about that.

11. Rigmarol

Rigmarol Well-Known Member

I have a box full of "partials" myself. The grandkids still like to play with such things as half a millennium falcon, a truck with no wheels, a butterfly that looks like a grasshopper that got run over, a bent rocket ship and the list goes on and on...

Geof likes this.
  12. danzca6

danzca6 Well-Known Member

I feel like playing TAPS is appropriate at this moment. Haha!

Rigmarol and Geof like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.