1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Answered Build Plate connectors burnt up, almost started a fire

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by AKin3d, Apr 24, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. AKin3d

AKin3d New Member

So my build plate was having issues heating up. I removed the base and wiggled the connection a little bit and it started working again. I started a print like normal until I started smelling burnt plastic. I stopped the print and powered down my ROBO R1+. When I removed the cover this time I pulled the Build plate connector off of the motherboard, and it was melted black on 1/2 of the connector. I ordered a few more 2pin and 4pin 300v connectors to replace the ones that burnt up. That's an easy fix, but I'm unsure as to whether or not my printer is safe to run without finding out what caused the connectors to melt and get burnt in the first place.

Any advise would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Attached Files:

2. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

Most likely is a ramps board failure. I'd start with replacing the board

3. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

It is usually the RAMPS itself like @Geof pointed out.
    If the wires are not tightened into those connectors well then it will add resistance and heat causing them to melt.

4. AKin3d

AKin3d New Member

I was thinking that might be the problem. What would you recommend as a replacement for the ramps board? Can I find one online or will I have to buy one through ROBO 3D? I haven't had a lot of success with their customer service in the past. I always have much better luck on this forum.

Thanks again for all you help guys!

5. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

6. AKin3d

AKin3d New Member

Awesome, yeah I don't shy from a challenge. As my mother always said, you only regret the shots you don't take.
    Ill hunt down a good ramps board and get to work.

Thanks again for the help, you guys are BAMF.

mark tomlinson and Geof like this.
  7. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

Good luck

8. Doug Meek

Doug Meek Member

I just had the exact same thing happen, connector looked identical to yours. Ordered new connectors from Digikey, replaced the 2 pin plug and the 4 pin receptacle on the board. It those wires going into the 2 pin plug are not really tight they can get a slightly bad connection which will start micro arcs, carbon buildup, heat (from it now being a resistor) and what you end up with is what you have. You need to be proficient in soldering but its a cheap repair, even cheaper than a RAMPS replacement but not by a lot.

Since I just had the problem I didn't want to have to constantly worry about those connections always being tight so I added an AC/DC SSR and ran the power through that, shouldn't ever have that RAMPS problem again.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.