1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

C2 Filament Run-Out Detection

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by Ryan585, Apr 3, 2017.

1. Ryan585

Ryan585 New Member

Hello,

I just received my Robo C2 and started printing with it. The printer is printing fine, but it stops every 10-30 seconds stating "Filament Has Run Out" and requires manual resuming even though the filament is new and has plenty left. It is basically useless as I am not going to sit there for five hours clicking "Ok" while it prints.

Is there any fix for this or is my printer faulty?

2. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

Do you have the filament going through the run-out sensor? If so then yes... the sensor is bad or the wire broken/disconnected.

Having the filament NOT go through the sensor is ... difficult, however I have to ask :)

3. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

If you want to check that the wire is connected to the control board I will go find a picture for you.

You have to be willing to dig into it a little bit and I can understand NOT wanting to.

4. Ryan585

Ryan585 New Member

I have the filament running through the hole in the black plastic thing in the back and up through a plastic tube.

I'm not a professional with computers by any means but I've done a fair bit of tinkering. If it something simple I'm sure I can manage.

5. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

You can sort of see the board in this pic:
    [​IMG]

The two wires (red/black) that re going to the GPIO header on the raspberry pi

6. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

Also make sure your filament is run through tjis way:

[​IMG]

7. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

I say that is because if somehow yours was assembled backwards (on the wrong side) there is no laser over there :)

8. Ryan585

Ryan585 New Member

The filament is feeding the way you have it pictured. Just to verify; are you talking about the two connectors under where it says "robo" on the rasberry pi?

9. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

Nope. the board that says ROBO is not the raspberry pi -- that is their controller, the Raspberry Pi is the one on the lower left. There is a red/black wire pair that goes to the last two pins on the I/O header for it -- those are the ones for the run-out sensor (a laser LED and an optical pickup). It is difficult to see in that picture (sorry). If you are connected to the correct side on the back then it is almost certainly a bad pickup or a bad wire. Give Robo a shout and have them handle it :) You could dismantle the mounting block where the filament runs in and see if everything looks OK in there and if you were desperate to print you can probably jumper the connection there and it would always show filament as "inserted" but try getting ahold of Robo tech support and see about them replacing the broken bits.

10. Ryan585

Ryan585 New Member

I can't seem to post the picture, but it seems that the red and black wires are connected.

11. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

I assumed they would be. It would be touch for them to be left off :)
    Only possible issue is a bad connection inside the black plastic port that holds the sensor or the wire disconnected in there or just a dead sensor.

12. Ryan585

Ryan585 New Member

Is there a fix on my end for any of those issues?

13. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

14. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

Only if you tear into it and only for the really simple problems. Give them a ring and see what they suggest OR if you bought the printer from Amazon or a third party with a good return policy -- return it and get a new one.

They should make it right for you, but waste no time before getting them on the horn :)

At this point it appears to be a bad sensor and that you can't do one your own.

15. Brian Hoffman

Brian Hoffman New Member

I received my printer yesterday and am having the same issue myself. I was able to print several layers before running into this issue then it keeps interrupting every 5-10 secs.

16. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

Same advice :)

There is nothing you can really easily do to fix this as it is probably a defective sensor. Since the C2/R2 have gone more mainstream in terms of how the units are built there is less that a maker can do to fiddle with them. Could you go buy parts somewhere and fix it? Sure, but with it under warranty that is a losing game.

Even just removing the black cover for the filament sensor is not fun given how the printer is assembled and how the screws are mounted for it.

#16 mark tomlinson, Apr 4, 2017
    Last edited: Apr 4, 2017
    Geof likes this.
  17. Brian Hoffman

Brian Hoffman New Member

Unfortunately Lvl 1 support did not have an answer. I got the printer from the kick starter campaign so not sure what returning looks like. I tried booking a tech support session with level 2 but the link is broken on the website.

18. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

You should call them and insist on them booking the level 2 tech since the website is non-functional.
    Regardless of how you bought it they need to support it.

Geof likes this.
  19. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

@mark tomlinson can you jumper it out on the board?ie if NO unplug it...if NC jumper across?

20. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

Yes, you could. I am not sure if it is N/O or N/C -- I can check later today -- but either way you could obviously jump around it and disable the run-out sensor. While that is fine as a short-term fix it is not a real fix and Robo needs to address that.