1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Unresolved Calibration question

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by joea, Aug 8, 2021.

1. joea

joea Active Member

I found cylinders I print do not seem perfectly round. So, I printed the calibration cube.

It is a bit difficult to measure due to the "over run" at the corners.

I suspect EEPROM adjustment to do with acceleration and/or direction changes could help, but rather than hack away, I figured to post these pictures to get some feedback/advice on how to correct the issue.

Gonna wait for some response before I knock down the corners and attempt to measure again.
    20210808_131430 (Medium).jpg 20210808_131454 (Medium).jpg

2. joea

joea Active Member

Most of the measurable overshoot seems to be in the Y axis. Could this be a belt tightness issue?

3. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

Sure, it could.

4. joea

joea Active Member

Which way? I thought it was tight enough by "twanging" it.

#4 joea, Aug 9, 2021
    Last edited: Aug 9, 2021
  5. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

If it is tight enough then acceleration should be your next stop.

Drop it dramatically and see if it improves. If it does then slowly tweak it back up to see how fast you can go before noticing bad effects.

It is difficult (but not impossible) to get a belt too tight with the Robo. As long as the belt is reasonably taut you are fine.

6. joea

joea Active Member

This is where I am now. Even less?

#define DEFAULT_MAX_FEEDRATE {500, 500, 5, 25} // (mm/sec)
    #define DEFAULT_MAX_ACCELERATION {300,300,100,500} // X, Y, Z, E maximum start speed for accelerated moves. /robo R1 jfa 11/18/2019
    #define DEFAULT_ACCELERATION 300 // X, Y, Z and E max acceleration in mm/s^2 for printing moves /robo
    #define DEFAULT_RETRACT_ACCELERATION 1000 // X, Y, Z and E max acceleration in mm/s^2 for retracts

// The speed change that does not require acceleration (i.e. the software might assume it can be done instantaneously)
    #define DEFAULT_XYJERK 5.0 // (mm/sec)
    //#define DEFAULT_XYJERK 17.0 // (mm/sec)
    #define DEFAULT_ZJERK 0.4 // (mm/sec)
    #define DEFAULT_EJERK 5.0 // (mm/sec)

7. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

No, that is low enough it should not be a factor. You perhaps have a bad bearing (or more than one) or the rods on that axis have been scratched / scuffed (by a bad bearing) and are no longer letting it operate smoothly on that axis.

8. joea

joea Active Member

You know, I did, sorta recently, change the linear bearings and maybe the rods. I'll have to check any records I may have. Was about the time I did the lead screw conversion.

FWIW, I did knock down the corners and find x,y,z within .003 of each other. Is that as good as it gets?

9. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

Probably, but how much you tweak/tune/fix the machine can matter :)
    Out of the box I wouldn't expect to get any better than about 50 microns (0.05 mm), but you can tune it (with some new mechanical parts) to be a bit better.

#9 mark tomlinson, Aug 9, 2021
  10. joea

joea Active Member

Did you really mean MICRONS?

mark tomlinson likes this.
  11. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

12. joea

joea Active Member

So, I am not that far off. Still 0.4. even with the new hot end. I just ordered a hardened 0.4 to use with the carbon fiber filament.

13. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

The hardened steel nozzle may well be one of the last you buy.
    I want to try a titanium one and see how fast it wears (if it wears enough to notice). The hardened steel ones went on my Robos a few years back and they have not noticeably worn any since.

14. joea

joea Active Member

GAH! I should start a new thread but suddenly I cannot get even the skirts to stick. I did reinstall MC 1.5 over the existing, thinking to restore the sync to print feature in layer view. But a quick glance looks like all the parameters are as before.

This is what I get:
    20210809_183234 (Medium).jpg

the Z offset is .5mm Could that be it?

#14 joea, Aug 9, 2021
  15. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

Bed is not level side-to-side on the X axis.
    Here is a word of advice for the stock autoleveling : It doesn't work well if the X axis is not actually manually leveled.
    Try fixing that level issue on the X and see what happens.

16. joea

joea Active Member

Expect it to be delivered today and may get to test it. Titanium. Well, since the Soviets stopped trying to build Submarines out of it, maybe the supply has loosened up . . .

Anyway, today I made a test print of a tool I hope to use, (CAD files courtesy of some fantastic folks at FreeCAD). I was ecstatic over how well it turned out and that it did not break when given a flex test, but then notice how it was "shrunk" in Z axis at the base. I may still be able to use this print, but wonder why that happened. As the print time was estimated at 9+ hours I did not print a raft as it seemed unnecessary. Wrong? I did not notice which way it printed as to x-y orientation.

I am a bit disappointed at the "ridges" that seem more pronounced than I've come to expect.

20210811_082617 (Medium).jpg

#16 joea, Aug 11, 2021
    Last edited: Aug 11, 2021
  17. joea

joea Active Member

I had manually leveled the bed and it seemed improved, but upon starting print for this test tool, there was one strand that thinned/did not adhere, similar to what was shown earlier.

I let it run and is seemed to clear up, so I let it print completely, checking periodically to see how it was going. All looked fine, until I examined the piece much later, after a test fit. Now it appears to me that the first few layers, in that area of mal adhesion seem to have "shrunk" in the Z plan (height) which makes me wonder if it is all related. That area is all "grid fill" which I had set to 20% as a time and filament saving effort. No idea if that worsened the problem or not.

18. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

The squish on the bottom few layers my affect the Z very slightly (tenths of a millimeter at worst normally). However if the lower layers did not print at all that would have more of an impact. Overall, what I can see of the model printed it looks not bad visually. Obviously you have the model (CAD file) and will be better suited to say how the print compares :)

19. joea

joea Active Member

Not sure I followed. The difference in this case is around 0.1 inches. That is far from OK in my estimation. I'm not at all sure why this happened, all I can say is it looks to my eye that all the shrinkage happened in the layers at the bottom 1/4 inch or less. No clue if that was due to a filament issue or what.

I will attempt a nozzle change since the hardened steel on arrived and run another test tomorrow or so.