1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Came for extruder info, now intrigued!

Discussion in 'General Questions' started by Michael Hackney, Nov 23, 2015.

1. Michael Hackney

Michael Hackney New Member

Hi all, I originally signed up on this forum because I had tracked down some users with an extruder that I am investigating. But, as I look at the Robo3D I'm thinking it might make a good addition to my stable (7) of printers and would be perfect for taking to fly fishing demonstrations (I developed, sell and give away the STL files for an all=printed fly fishing reel, see my avatar) to sit next to a mini Kossel delta printer.

I have some basic questions on the R1 that I can't find on the web site.

What technology is the auto leveling? It looks like the nozzle touch is the trigger. Is it using FSRs (force sensitive resistors) or is the bed sitting on mechanical switches?

What firmware is it running - looks like Marlin but maybe Repetier?

What hotend is included?

Very interesting machine!

2. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

The arm the extruder travels on for the X axis has mechanical switches (two, one on each side) to sense when the nozzle is in contact with the bed (forcing the arm to lift).

Marlin. Not suse of the exact version, but you can upgrade to the current version with some minor tweaks.

Hexagon.

3. Michael Hackney

Michael Hackney New Member

Thanks for the info. That's an interesting Z probe mechanism, I'll have to look into that.

4. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

People have come up with alternatives (you can read around the forum for more details).
    It is functional and really simple. Just do some basic alignment to make sure the sides of the arm are close and off you go.

5. daniel871

daniel871 Well-Known Member

6. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

Their dual extruder one is a terrific price, you are losing some build area though.
    Add a new hotend and it would be sweet.