1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Can I force Cura to generate additional support material?

Discussion in 'Software' started by zenekNY, Sep 19, 2015.

1. zenekNY

zenekNY Member

Hi everyone! For pretty much first time I tried printing something with an overhang. I'm trying to print a fan shroud for my fan (soon a double fan too) and I ran into a problem with a material warping on a slight overhang (approx. 35 degree). It's all OK on the bottom until it starts printing the overhang. I was wondering if I could add additional supports using cura so the PLA that overhangs wouldn't warp.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. zenekNY

zenekNY Member

I also want to add that the material that overhangs is not cooling down quick enough. The side that has a fan looks a little better.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3. Printed Solid

Printed Solid Volunteer Admin
    Staff Member

You can adjust the support angle in cura. It is under the advanced settings.
    There are some designs posted on thingiverse for dual fan shrouds. Those help a lot. You can also slow speed down, try reducing temperature, turn on the minimum layer time and/or cool head lift features, and/or print multiples on the plate at the same time.

4. zenekNY

zenekNY Member

I decided to rotate the print in a different orientation to have it printed with more supports. I will try tinkering with the advanced settings on the next print. I used this project from thingverse http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:821080 to print my shrouds but they drag on the surface of the print bed. Can you suggest any other shrouds for a stock hexagon hot end?

#4 zenekNY, Sep 20, 2015
    Last edited: Sep 21, 2015