1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Answered Can Robo stock extruder hot end be used in E3DV6?

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by John in MS, Oct 27, 2018.

1. John in MS

John in MS Active Member

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I have torn the wiring to the hot of my E3DV6. My problem with it is the constant need to remove clogs from heat creep. This is with the fan properly attached and the hot end being "oiled" constantly. The design of it is culprit here today as while I disconnect the thermistor when removing those clogs the hot end wiring does not have quick release like the old stock end

Can the hot end of the old stock end work in the E3D? Can the quick release connectors of the old hot end be spliced into a E3D hot end wiring and not effect performance?

I have a perfectly good J head hot end I could put back in my R1 plus. While I had many of those to fail at the thermistor and need replacing the E3DV6 seems to be a fail when it comes to heat creep and constant clogging.

Again can a J head hot end be used in a E3DV6 and also can I wire a future E3DV6 with quick release to stop connection strain in removing clogs? Thanks

2. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

Looking at your picture I assume you mean the heater core (the part with the red wires attached) and the answer is "yes" you can use the hexagon heater core with the E3D. They are a common part: https://smile.amazon.com/Signstek-Reprap-Ceramic-Cartridge-Printer/dp/B00Q9Z1JUU/

Yes if you splice them in (they will work and not hurt anything)

I am not sure if the heater core in a J-Head will work, but you can try it if it is the same physical size. The stock hexagon (R1 and R1+ -- not the Beta) is the same as the E3D so that one will work too. Otherwise use that link I provided as an example of what to buy. They are roughly a dollar each so not a huge expense

#2 mark tomlinson, Oct 27, 2018
    Last edited: Oct 27, 2018
  3. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

Parts break out so the terminology makes semse

hotend_thumb.jpg

and the link I provided is for the heater core (the heating element that makes the hotend, hot).

#3 mark tomlinson, Oct 27, 2018
    Last edited: Oct 27, 2018
    WheresWaldo likes this.
  4. John in MS

John in MS Active Member

Will be getting another hot wire that goes to the heat block. If I cut the included and make a quick connect, does positive and negative matter on that wire or not? Thanks

5. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

No the wires are not polarity sensitive at all. Not for the heater or the thermistor.