1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Solved can't get Z offset to work in simplify 3D

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by Dragonslayer Ornstein, Mar 27, 2015.

1. Dragonslayer Ornstein

I broke down and purchased Simplify 3D and I found some G code on the forums over there, but the only thing that isn't working right is the Z offset. I punched it in exactly as they had it and got nothing. I changed it to zero even, and still, same result. I really want to use this software because the support material isn't garbage like the other slicers. Anyone have any ideas?

2. cosber

cosber Active Member

The Z offset is particular to your machine. You need to find out what your offset is. Where did you enter the offset? In the G-code section or as part of the Starting G-code script? I suggest using the offset in the G code section. Get it as close as you can using the paper under the nozzle bit. If you're layers are too flat, put in higher number, lower if your layer is too high. Since we're talking millimeters, it doesn't take much of a change to affect the layer. I started mine at 0.1 and found perfection at 0.25.
    It just takes some playing around. I was frustrated at first but kept at it. Paying $125.00 is a great incentive not to give up.

3. Dragonslayer Ornstein

I entered the G code in the menu under the machine control panel, I believe it's the properties tab as a macro. Is there another place I can enter it? It defaulted to 1mm, which is way too high. It just spits out plastic that doesn't sick to the bed. If I can just figure out where to input the code at, I know I can do it.

4. Dragonslayer Ornstein

It was the scripts tab that I entered the code into. I'm not sure why it's not working.

5. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

Open a ticket with Simplify support and try referring to the docs they have online -- it may give you the answer. If not their support folks can.

I haven't messed with the Startup GCode sequence in Simplify, but I have a beta not an R1.

6. James Harry

James Harry Active Member

I spent quite a bit of time figuring out my z offset, and put it in the Starting G-Code script. I figure I have stuff there anyway and easy to find. I used S3D's multi process ability to try up to 6 different test cubes at the same time, all using different z offsets. Helped me zero in on the right value more quickly.

Attached Files:

mark tomlinson likes this.
  7. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

Yes, there are some very powerful differences with how it handles the print processes. Nice work!
    It should be noted this screen is on the print process dialog window that pops up for Edit Process.

8. cosber

cosber Active Member

It may be working, but you may be so far off, the changes you make aren't apparent. Remember we're using millimeters here. If you're a 1/4 inch off, you have to change the offset a lot to get it to look like it's doing something. Just today, I had to tear everything apart because of a cable issue. The bed was off again so I used the bed leveling wizard under the Tools menu. After that, the print was too close so I started with an offset of 0.20 and ended up at 0.23. I put my offset under the G code tab. I know putting the offset in the script works, I used it with Mattercontrol, it just seems I had better luck entering it under the G code tab.

9. Dragonslayer Ornstein

Thanks guys! I ended up getting it, I just had too much text in my script and it didn't like it. It runs beautifully now.