1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Solved *Read pg 8 if you use a Geckotek bed!* Changed power supply, now y axis waves

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by Rat_Patrol, Jun 10, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rat_Patrol

Rat_Patrol Member

The power supply died on my robo3d R1 plus with controller. all I did was replace the power supply and now I've got this y axis wave thing going on. I am using the same filament the same file only thing that changed was the power supply. I even slow down my acceleration and jerk values with no success along with overall printing speed to a crawl absolutely no change. My picture on my phone is too large to post so I won't be able to get a picture until later.

2. Kilrah

Kilrah Well-Known Member

Same power supply specs?

The dying PSU could have killed something on its way out too.

3. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

Be my guess too. Swap the Y axis stepper driver for another one and see if the problem moves.

Geof likes this.
  4. Rat_Patrol

Rat_Patrol Member

I should mention that there is no problem when the model is close to the build plate but it gets worse and worse as the model builds height. By 50mm, there is a sawtooth to the model of about 4mm. Close to the build plate, the model is perfect.

5. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

Still sounds like a stepper driver :) That is the part that the RAMPS uses to drive the stepper and assuming the model is fine you have an issue in the drive. That is:
    1) The stepper motor
    2) belts/pulleys
    3) stepper driver (turns RAMPS signal into current)
    4) RAMPS
    5) Ardunio (highly unlikely)

Geof likes this.
  6. Rat_Patrol

Rat_Patrol Member

So good source for stepper drivers I can get asap? Like Amazon prime fast?

7. Rat_Patrol

Rat_Patrol Member

The new be psu is just a mean well. I actually found my 24v psu went and took out the fuse in the account by plug replaced both.

8. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

9. Rat_Patrol

Rat_Patrol Member

Even though I haven't tested it yet I did go ahead and order those Electronics since if I ordered it right now it'll be here on Monday I'll update with whatever I find was issue.

10. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

Even if you didn't need them today, a full set of spares is nice :)

Geof likes this.
  11. Rat_Patrol

Rat_Patrol Member

Changed Y axis driver, no dice yet. I suppose the entire ramps board tomorrow.

Pic of what is happening, only on Y axis. Lower than that on the model, it prints perfectly. AND, not every model is as bad as the others, as I print 4 at a time for cooling reasons. One model is almost passable if you weren't picky, one is terrible, and 2 in between.

Attached Files:

12. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

That is a good picture and helps isolate it, BUT which was is that print on the printer when printed?
    What is X, Y and Z? Label it. Is it printed oriented as you have it in the picture?

Originally I was thinking ringing:
    http://support.3dverkstan.se/article/23-a-visual-ultimaker-troubleshooting-guide#ringing

but know I am thinking it is either Skipping steps (badly):
    http://reprap.org/wiki/Print_Troubleshooting_Pictorial_Guide

Or mechanical ringing on that axis. I would have expected that it was oriented on the printer so that the "waves" are going up the Z axis, but please confirm. Your thread title says Y

13. Rat_Patrol

Rat_Patrol Member

The pic is oriented that you see the Y axis "waves", so looking at the Y axis perpendicular. X axis is perfect, Z axis is perfect.

Isn't like ringing I've dealt with before. I even slowed one print down dramatically: overall speed, jerk and acceleration with no difference. Its like it WANTS to print like this. I rebuilt the file and moved to a new place on the build plate for shits and giggles last night, just checked on it and same results.

14. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

So, the answer to "Is it printed oriented as you have it in the picture?" is yes?

(Y being left-right)

15. Rat_Patrol

Rat_Patrol Member

I just did some destructive testing, and riddle me this: the infill is NOT affected???????? I use a 30% rectilinear infill. For kicks, I decided to cut open a model. To my surprise, the infill is straight going all the way down. I then basically did a section analysis in real life, and confirmed that the "wave" is limited to the outline, and the infill seems to correct it, or at least isn't NEARLY as bad.

16. Rat_Patrol

Rat_Patrol Member

In the pic, Y is up-down, Z is left-right, X is foreground-background.

17. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

Then you 'waves' are Z axis waves/ripples and that is more common. It makes more sense as that is the leadscrews (threaded rods on the R1). It didn't make sense that the single Y stepper could easily generate that sort of effect :)

So my first guess would be that perhaps one of the stepper drivers or stepper motors is losing steps. Not a lot, but enough to cause the oscillation.

18. Rat_Patrol

Rat_Patrol Member

Z axis? All Z layers are correct?

I have another test model printing, I'll take a pic with it on the machine.

19. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

The ripples are in the Z per your description. Please be precise or we are wasting our time :)
    as the Z changes (assuming your description of the orientation is correct) the layers are wider and narrower. That is a Z ripple.

In the past (before threaded rods were swapped for leadscrews) we had a huge/long/beat-to-death troubleshooting of Z ripple. While it was not then as pronounced as yours (and yours gets worse as the Z rises I think) it was exactly what you have. Z goes up, layers expand and contract. Back then this was due to the harmonics of the threaded rods/couplers and stepper. Yours is probably (at a guess) a stepper or stepper driver being 'lazy'

#19 mark tomlinson, Jun 13, 2017
    Last edited: Jun 13, 2017
    Geof likes this.
  20. Rat_Patrol

Rat_Patrol Member

A test model currently running. This one WILL have over-heating issues, but I will know more in a few.

Attached Files:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.