1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Solved *Read pg 8 if you use a Geckotek bed!* Changed power supply, now y axis waves

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by Rat_Patrol, Jun 10, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rat_Patrol

Rat_Patrol Member

What else is there????

2. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

I still maintain this is a Z artifact since it varies by Z height. If you have ruled out everything mechanical (steppers, leadscrews, etc.) then all that is left is electrical (stepper driver, ramps, etc). It isn't a firmware or software issue. I still really lean towards this being a mechanical problem, but I don't have the printer to dissect :)

Did you pull out the leadscews (and steppers) and makes sure they are straight? Not bent?

3. Rat_Patrol

Rat_Patrol Member

New Z lead screws/steppers (they were good and straight).

The RAMPS is new and the Y axis stepper driver is new.

I can see how bent lead screws can cause this, and it would explain the wave action perfectly since the lead screw rotates, but new lead screws/stepper motors ruled all that out. No way the guide rods for Z can cause a back and fourth motion like this. Everything just looks so darn good, it acts like the model calls for it.

4. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

How about the Z stepper driver? Is that new?

5. Rat_Patrol

Rat_Patrol Member

No, couldn't see how it could be Z not stepping correctly causing Y axis shifting of 2mm.

6. Rat_Patrol

Rat_Patrol Member

Pics of last test print. Both printed together, the one toward the front almost passable. Also pic of how they were on the print bed.
    Running another test print now with 3 towers, middle and two extremes of the Y axis.

Attached Files:

7. Rat_Patrol

Rat_Patrol Member

Before I started this last print, I was checking everything for slop. I found the smallest, and I mean smallest amount of slop in the bearing/rod on the right size of the Z axis. This is probably still less slop than there was with stock rods/bearings (using upgraded 8mm rods and misumi bearings, which are far better of a fit), but the other side is rock solid. Ordered new bearings, but I doubt that little slop could cause all this.

8. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

Bearings are a good suspect (the Y axis ones in particular given your symptoms).

9. Rat_Patrol

Rat_Patrol Member

Y axis bearings are all good and tight (again Misumi bearings on better rods)

10. Rat_Patrol

Rat_Patrol Member

I ordered enough bearings for the X axis as well, just cause I was already paying for shipping..

11. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

http://community.robo3d.com/index.php?threads/waviness-or-not-that-is-the-question.2490/

Yours may be totally isolated to the Y, but the Z can cause artifacts. All of the Axis are affected by movement :) Not to the same extent as a delta (which can be truly annoying trying to sort which axis is the problem) but they do interact.

Yours was not regular the entire distance up the print which makes it less likely to be Z only.

12. OutsourcedGuru

OutsourcedGuru Active Member

If it were me, I'd create a table to review the change management...

Action Better? Worse?
    --------- --------- --------

Each of those actions above you'd write in the first column and then put a Y/N/NC (no change) next to each. The initial "replace PSU with new one" is the first 'worse?' in the series and starts this show. You seemed to have a positive response when putting the original PSU back in.

I'm assuming that Y-wave is the only problem. But if you'd added any problems, feel free to add them as a fourth column. Thinking of this as a timeline from top to bottom, it helps to visualize better the change management of everything with everything now in one place and in a timeline.

13. OutsourcedGuru

OutsourcedGuru Active Member

Any chance that it could be the lubrication either in the bearings or the lead screws?

14. Rat_Patrol

Rat_Patrol Member

All bearings and lead screws are freshly lubricated and moving completely free.

Just checked on the test print, I printed one at the very front of the plate, one in the middle, and one at the back. The one in the very front is acceptable (barely any Y shifting), middle has the Y shifting, and the back one is the most severe.

Now I'm going to do 3 in a row toward the front.

15. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

Hmm, I wonder if the bed travel is affecting this?
    Gently move the bed full stop end-to-end ... is the movement totally smooth, no sticking?
    Can you move it side-to-side any as it slides from end-to-end?
    How about up/down?

16. Rat_Patrol

Rat_Patrol Member

Movement is smooth. No side to side slop in the Y axis. My test print last night failed due to the filament binding up and breaking on a new spool, so running it again. Moved all 3 towers right next to each other on the most rear of the Y axis where the last model was the worst. Will see if position on the bed has anything to do with it.

17. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

Test all directions (any of them can affect the model print in the Y axis if they move while it is moving)

18. Rat_Patrol

Rat_Patrol Member

One thing that has bothered me since this all started, is the z wobble isn't consistent. Thinking of the pattern as a sound wave, the frequency isn't always the same. Its different with every model attempt. I've measured from peak to peak of between 5.25mm to 2.2mm. The amplitude is always about .65mm

19. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

That is likely if it is something loose. If it were an absolute pattern then it would be more like the original R1/Beta style of Z ribbing. It would not vary since it was an artifact of the Z rods and the way they mounted to the steppers.

Did you check to see if it varies with print speed (I should remember, but the thread has gotten too long for review)?

#99 mark tomlinson, Jun 22, 2017
    Last edited: Jun 22, 2017
  20. Rat_Patrol

Rat_Patrol Member

Well, the new Misumi bearings arrive tomorrow. Once this test print is done (I'll report the results), I'll take it down again and see if I missed anything.

I think I will stop the print at the peak of issue height and see if something is loose while everything is hot. Haven't done that hot yet.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.