1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Answered Changing Filament Mid print Offset?

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by BronStoppable, Apr 6, 2019.

1. BronStoppable

BronStoppable Member

Hi,
    So whenever I use the change filament button on the lcd, it shifts over, makes a grind noise(like when the x goes to far) as it hits the stopper, and pops out the filament all fine and well. I load it back up. Press the button again, but when it goes back to printing, it starts about a inch to the right of where the project is, thus ruining the print and using just extruding over air.

I assume is has something to do with the grinding when it shifts to the left initially but I could be wrong. Any ideas? My printer settings for board size are 228,254,228 and i use cura.

2. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

Which LCD and which flavor of the firmware (which version)?
    Grinding is a stepper skipping steps. Can be blockage (mechanical) or an electrical issue (bad stepper or driver)

3. BronStoppable

BronStoppable Member

Thanks for responding. I don’t think the steppers are messed up or anything as they only make the noise when part of a print is out of bounds ie: the print is at the limit and i have a skirt so it compresses the skirt closer to the print since there’s no room. I’m not sure about the firmware since i never mess with it but it’s the basic on in the picture below.

Attached Files:

4. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

Yup, that is a stock flavor of firmware.
    That looks like the reprap discount LCD.

If it is actually out of bounds then the grinding would likely be the steppers because they are hitting mechanical limits.
    Try doing the filament change (for a test) with the extruder near the center of the bed.

5. BronStoppable

BronStoppable Member

Yea i did it right from home and when it got over to the far left stepper it made the noise as if it was trying to go farther, the popped out the filament as expect. But when it goes back to the center where the hollow box it, it’s about a inch to the right of it and printing over nothing.

6. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

and this only happens when you do the filament change?

7. BronStoppable

BronStoppable Member

Correct, if I use the change filament setting it happens every time but other than that prints and moves normally which is why I thought it was my plate size settings or something

8. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

Well it is certainly something set incorrectly in the firmware for that LCD menu item or the LCD is misbehaving. Plate size settings would be one place to consider -- tray adjusting them and see if it changes the behavior (as a test -- you can always change them back)