1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Solved Check those nuts and bolts

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by tesseract, Jul 28, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tesseract

tesseract Moderator
    Staff Member

Hey guys just wanted to give you all a heads up reminder to check those nuts and bolts for tightness.
    Some of the nuts and bolts on the Robo should probably have had some kind of locktite put on them for added security. Motor mounting screws are good candidates for this.others are anything that is on a moving platform or moving itself. The one exception is the z axis nuts on the threaded rods do not secure these it is very important they remain free to move.

I am saying this because after starting a normal print (16 of my cable chain links) last night and seeing that it was a lengthy print I knew it would be finished early this morning but I awoke during the night and saw the time and said hmmm I do not hear the printer and knew it should still be going so I got up and went in and checked and both screws holding the extruder assembly onto the x axis sled had come completely out one screw had even fallen out and had fallen behind the printer the rear bolt was hanging on but was completely unscrewed from the nut in the recess of the extruder assembly. The only thing holding the extruder on was the hot end assembly that passes through the x axis sled, but the entire extruder assembly could be lifted up off the x axis sled until stopped by the hot end. These nuts and bolts are prime examples of ones that probably should have had some locktite on them.

It is probably critical that many of us doing smaller prints especially things like calibration cubes and small things that require lots of x and y movements to be especially vigilant for this due to the fact that these small movements to induce a sort of slow vibration that can work things loose. So until you can go in and add some locktite to some of these nuts and bolts just be on the look out.

2 people like this.
  2. SPyKER

SPyKER Active Member

Sorry to hear about your failed print, but thank you for the advice. For those of us still awaiting our printers, any more details you could provide would be helpful.

3. tesseract

tesseract Moderator
    Staff Member

The only thing of any real relevence was that I have been attempting to print several small items lately which do have a lot of short movements on the x and y axis' solid fills and such and this does constitute a very slow vibration so could have been a contributing factor but I think they still could have used some locktite.

4. CAMBO3D

CAMBO3D New Member

good idea to start checking all hardware once in awhile, if its not locktited. Probably will be checking mine today to make sure they still tight.

5. James

James Member

I agree with checking the connections but u might want to not use loctite... it will damage plastics over time.
    I think there might be one formula of locktite that is safe to use... check their website to find out

6. Rolo402

Rolo402 New Member

Any one have this problem.
    The nuts keep going down.
    or if someone can link me that would help too.

Attached Files:

7. tesseract

tesseract Moderator
    Staff Member

OK you have two issues going on one the z stop switch is mounted backward the fulcrum part of the lever switch needs to be going to the back the open end of the lever should be facing foward as seen in this pic
    2013-11-18 13.26.10.jpg
    and that is the primary cause of the second issue it is called throwing your nuts and it is caused by that switch not getting activated properly. The way it is oriented is that the screw should comes down on the lever and the lever action activates the button on the micro switch. The way it is currently oriented the screw comes down on teh lever right above the switch this requires much more weight to activate the switch so most of the time it doesn't work. Switch it around the right way should help out alot.

2 people like this.
  8. Rolo402

Rolo402 New Member

Thanx I will try that

Sent from the future.

9. tesseract

tesseract Moderator
    Staff Member

wait you're sending it from the future and you have fixed it yet

2 people like this.
  10. Rolo402

Rolo402 New Member

What if I glue the nuts in place and not to the bolt

Sent from the future.

11. tesseract

tesseract Moderator
    Staff Member

DON T DO THAT

I M P O R T A N T

12. Rolo402

Rolo402 New Member

Why not the will stay in place in the plastic part

Sent from the future.

13. tesseract

tesseract Moderator
    Staff Member

Those bolts MUST remain lose especially with the glass beds if not and a failure occurs it could end up driving the nozzle directly into the bed under a lot of pressure and the small point of contact would cause the bed to break

14. tesseract

tesseract Moderator
    Staff Member

It is a safety feature the bed can go down and if it makes contacts with anything it raises off the nuts as they contine to lower locking them to the plastic prevents that and would drive it directly into the bed surface

15. Rolo402

Rolo402 New Member

Ok ok ok

Sent from the future.

16. tesseract

tesseract Moderator
    Staff Member

Have had this discussion before so trust that they need to remain just as they are loose

Their main purpose is to lift the z axis not lower it glueing them in changes that for the worse

17. tesseract

tesseract Moderator
    Staff Member

Lol just wanted to make it clear sorry if I was abrupt about it

18. Rolo402

Rolo402 New Member

Its all good I was just asking

Sent from the future.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.