1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Solved Choosing a replacement motor

Discussion in 'General Questions' started by Morichalion, Jan 30, 2017.

1. Morichalion

Morichalion Member

The y-axis motor on my r1+ is about dead. Or dying. In any case, the old layer-shift problem is back.

I've done the following:

Check the belt (still quite tight).

Check the tension clips (no slippage).

Curse at random imaginary spirits (still imaginary).

Grab the build plate, and realize there's basically no effort involved in moving it (because the motor has no torque, apparently...)...

Off with the bottom of the printer (also grabbed the old SD card I lost down there), unplugged the y-axis motor, put said plug into known-good ramps/arduino setup, find that it's basically not working as it should. I iz sad, because only recently GOT the thing working as it should...

Anyway....

Will any of the motors on this amazon list work for a stock R1+ printer?

http://a.co/hf6odeY

2. WheresWaldo

WheresWaldo Volunteer ( ͠° ͟ʖ ͡°)
    Staff Member

I would double check Amazon for a motor that uses a 6 pin plug as it will be easier to plug and play over a NEMA 17 motor that requires stripping and soldering wires together. Since Y is the heaviest part of the Robo to move try to find something that is 40Ncm or higher, be mindful of the space you have to mount it, higher torque motors have longer bodies.

3. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

if you want a direct plug and play I'd suggest replacing with one from Robo if they have them in stock. then unplug the wires, unbolt the stepper, reverse and your good to go. are you certain your stepper driver doesn't need tuned?

4. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

Either of those will probably work. I would get the 64oz/in one for a buck more.
    Step Angle: 1.8 deg. is correct so the number of steps/rev should be right.

5. Morichalion

Morichalion Member

So far as the motor was concerned, my small bit of researched suggested that a larger motor would likely run cooler (the y-axis motor was HOT...), so I got a bigger one.

And no, actually, I'm can't say for certain that the stepper driver doesn't need tuned. After looking at a video on pololu, and following its instructions, have found that the VREF on the chips were all set to ~460 millivolts. With that in mind, does anyone know what drivers they used on the R1+? I haven't been able to find out, and would like to know what the current limit function is for the drivers.

6. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

pololu a4988 or clones of those.

Personally, I don't use a meter most of the time. Use the non-ferrous adjustment tool and slowly tweak them and test until the stepper steps correctly and there you are.