1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Clear extruder after gets to temp?

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by Frank van Gilluwe, Jan 25, 2018.

1. Frank van Gilluwe

When I start to print, the bed moves up, the Z calibration is done and it prints a line to clear the extruder (so far great). Then after the line prints, it stops and waits for the bed temp - about 2 minutes. Meanwhile the extruder slowly drips and must be cleaned a few seconds before the bed gets to temp, or it drags the mess into the print and nothing comes out of the extruder for about 2-3 inches, screwing up a no-raft print.

Is there a way to run a second line after the extruder gets to temp? Perhaps a 1/4" away from the first line.

The problem occurs with both materials I use, PLA and PETG.

2. Kilrah

Kilrah Well-Known Member

The problem is that the startup Gcode heats up to some generic temp, does the priming line, then needs to wait to reach your set print temperature. Found it very stupid straight away.

I have solved this by removing that startup Gcode from Octoprint, and moving it to my slicer where it is now set to preheat directely to the correct temperature BEFORE doing the priming line, and starting the print instantly afterwards.

3. Frank van Gilluwe

Thanks - I keep looking in Cura, and forgot about OctoPrint. For me I'll try a change in OctoPrint, Settings -> Gcode scripts -> Before print job starts, after the line "; heat to priming line temp" that the default is :

"M140 S60" (heat bed to 60C, but don't wait)
    to
    "M190 S70" (heat bed and wait until it reaches 70C).

I mostly use PETG, which has a 70C bed temp.