1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Clicking Noise and Filament Going in Reverse

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by AG13, Feb 23, 2018.

1. AG13

AG13 New Member

I have printed maybe 10 different items to this point all the way from 20 minutes to 12 hours with no problem. However recently the printer has stopped feeding the filament... it runs through the initial diagnostics and prints its test strip which causes a clicking noise and what appears to be a failure to feed the PLA.

On the first occurrence I stopped the print and used the wizard to manually extrude filament to ensure there was no blockages, once this was completed I restarted the print no problems. Now that does not seem to resolve the issue.

I can actually see the filament gear click and feed in the opposite direction. I cancel the print and manually extrude through the wizard, no problems. Try to start the print again and same issue. I have changed material to ensure it wasn't bad quality filament and the issue remains. I have shut down the unit to cool for some time to see if this helps resolve but I have not had any problems prior during long prints and had only just finished a 5 hour print before attempting a second and running into these issues.

Has anyone run into these issues? Thanks in advance

2. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

Have you tried seasoning the hotend?

3. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

The click is too much backpressure so try what @Geof suggested to help that out. The travel in the opposite direction is "retraction" and something the slicer does when printing (and something you would not do in manually printing).

4. AG13

AG13 New Member

Awesome, thank you both. I will give this a try tonight and provide an update. Appreciate the quick response.

5. AG13

AG13 New Member

Unfortunately no luck. I am green to the realm of 3d printing so just to be clear, I removed the filament, dipped a new piece in oil (not to the point of dripping) and fed it through the extruder. I repeated this process three times. No problems when using the wizard to exchange filaments, but a problem when i go to print. Also tried a different same job but it produced the same results... The problem generates immediately during the initial clearing test strip it lays before it even begins the job.

Assuming I seasoned the hot end correctly (big assumption), would changing out the extruder nozzle resolve the issue? I am noticing that the PLA i remove has grip marks in it, but im assuming this is normal.

Thanks again gents.

6. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

The marks are normal, if you seasoned it as described that should be enough.
    Replacing the nozzle is a fine idea, but you will want to season it again (since the nozzle is what you are seasoning in the first place) just to be sure.

If that does not help it may be a driver issue for the stepper. Not my first thought since it manually extrudes OK, but if retractions are making the problem so up then that is a possibility.

7. AG13

AG13 New Member

Geof, Mark thank you both. Because I never seasoned initially I believe the hotend just became cluttered with use. I disassembled the unit cleaned each item and used a propane torch to heat and clean out the brass nozzle, reassembled and seasoned. Unit seems to be running great, about 20 minutes into a print currently with no problems.Ill be sure to PM the unit after so many prints from this point forward.

Thanks again

mark tomlinson, Geof and WheresWaldo like this.