1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Solved Clogged AGAIN. What am I doing wrong, here?

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by WizarDru, Oct 1, 2016.

1. WizarDru

WizarDru Member

Okay, so I'm really beginning to wonder if I'm doing something completely wrong or if there is something wrong with my refurbished Robo3D R1+. In the few weeks I've had it, it's clogged three times and suffered a damaged extruder thermistor.

I successfully installed the replacement thermistor and wire on Wednesday and then did a test print. Everything looked good, except it clearly needed some seasoning again. I removed filament and left it along. Last night, I did some seasoning three times to hopefully clean the extruder. I then printed using some Boots PLA, oiling the first section as I went. The print (for a new spool holder) went perfectly. No signs of micro-clogging. I came down and found the print had literally just finished (the bed hadn't even cooled yet) and went to remove the filament before turning it off....and couldn't remove it. AGAIN.

Now I'm going to have to drill the heat break again to clear the channel. AGAIN. I verified that both fans, including the small one on the heat break, are running fine. The Printrbot Metal Simple right next to it has only clogged once in a year of use in the same space. I was about to print an oiler, but I assumed since I'd just seasoned the printer, this would be adequate for this print.

Is my printer faulty in some way or am I making some mistake in printing/handling? It's very frustrating that the Robo3D is performing at a lower level than a kit printer, especially when I was under the impression that it was generally considered a much better printer. But if it continually jams on almost every print and needs to be molly-coddled for every print, it feels like I made a mistake in getting it. I'm hoping someone can clue me in to some obvious mistake I'm making or have overlooked here.

Thanks,
    Dru.

2. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

Never used boots pla. What's your temp? What speed? Filament diameter? Shouldn't use drills on hotends

3. WizarDru

WizarDru Member

Okay, a little further information: I cleared the jam and it happened in the exact same place: the absolute top of the heat break. Right past where the filament enters the heat brake, it's jamming there. That sounds like something wrong position wise. Just cleared it and it was a tiny block right at the top.

Printed an oiler, and while I was working, Simplify3D crashed right after I inserted the filament through the oiler into the printer. JAMMED AGAIN.

Ideas?

4. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

Bake it in the oven -- don't put a drill in there to mess up the polished finish in the heat break bore or it will make it worse.

Geof likes this.
  5. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

It sounds like heat creep honestly because the filament should not be melted at the heat break
    If it is heat creep you need to make sure the fan on the heatsink of the extruder is running full speed. Maybe even swap it for another because at the temperatures you are printing it should not be an issue if the fan is working correctly.

6. WizarDru

WizarDru Member

I have been printing at 210. Was just about to try printing at 200. Speed is the default of 60 m/s. Filament is 1.75.

I know I shouldn't use them, but when the option is to replace the hotend every dang time this thing clogs, I don't have others. I have to clip the filament completely out and no amount of pulling will remove it. Turning it upside down, super heating it, nothing. Since it occurs so high in the break, most suggested methods won't work.

7. WizarDru

WizarDru Member

That I can do, thanks. But the greater question is what's causing the heat creep and how I do I fix it? Am I printing too hot for the filament and that's causing the issue?

8. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

really sounds like a failing or failed cold end fan. Do you have one you can swap in ? Is possible the finish is bad and you need a new hotend

mark tomlinson likes this.
  9. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

Could be to hot, more likely the fan

10. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

It is either the fan or a defective hotend.
    The hexagon is not the worlds greatest small all-metal unit, but it is cheap.

I would start with the fan if you can or just have Robo replace the hotend.

Geof likes this.
  11. Rigmarol

Rigmarol Well-Known Member

You spoke of using a drill again I think. It may be possible you nicked the inside and made it worse.
    Or/and the fan isn't working as it should. Under warrantee? get a new part request in right away.

12. WizarDru

WizarDru Member

I'm willing to take the blame on that one, although I would vote for 'maybe made it worse', since it started happening before I did anything to the hotend. Basically if I didn't remove filament from the hotend within seconds of it cooling down, it'd jam. It don't think I've gotten a correct print out of it yet, though I've had some near misses.

I've just put in a request to support for a replacement hotend.

Thanks.

Geof likes this.
  13. Rigmarol

Rigmarol Well-Known Member

For the future, what has worked very well for me is to always remove filament while the hot end is at full printing temp or above. NOT when it is cooling down even if it's seconds. The hotend cools down very quickly. At least mine does.

Not carved in stone, just sharing what has worked well for me on my one and only printer.

14. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

Id throw a request in for the hotend fan as well. If its not going at full speed it could be causing your issue.

15. WizarDru

WizarDru Member

Got the new hot end from Robo and it looks like we're in business. I've done a few successful prints and no jams. Yay!

Geof likes this.
  16. danzca6

danzca6 Well-Known Member

Great news. Keep it oiled with an oiler when running PLA and you should be good to go.