1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Unanswered Clogged Extruder at Top - How to Clear ?

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by techtot, May 14, 2017.

1. techtot

techtot New Member

I just got my Robo 3D R1+ and on day 2, no PLA was extruding, so I disconnected the extruder (or whatever the whole unit is called) and it is definitely clogged. Please see the picture. Being two days old, should I just ask for another hot end/extruder or is there a relatively easy way to unclog this? I can get a guitar string into the gold part where the filament comes out, but only about 1/3 way up the whole piece. Also does the silver part separate from the gold part? I am obviously new at this...
    20170514_004520.jpg

2. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

Yes, ask for a replacement.
    Getting it unclogged is not impossible, but a bit of work. For it to clog like that however, something is wrong. That is caused by heat creep so make CERTAIN that the fan which mounts directly to the side of the extruder is working. Without that you will just clog again.

3. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

The only place the filament should be "melted" is in the heater block at the base of the extruder where the nozzle is attached. The skinny section above that is the heat break and there should never be melted filament higher than that.

On these smaller all-metal hotends if your fan is not working a condition called "heat creep" will nuke you.