1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Coffee Heater

Discussion in 'Projects' started by Baird Bankovic, Jul 18, 2017.

1. Baird Bankovic

Baird Bankovic New Member

Hello, so I have an old heater from a robo r1 plus build plate and I want to make a coffee Heater with it. So I want to know what I would need if I were to power it independent of the printer. I know how to sodder and Eire electrical units, so if I could get some input to which electronics to use, I would appreciate it.
    I also have an old robo r1 hotend, so if u know how to power that too, I would love that!

2. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

12v DC is what both take.

Geof likes this.
  3. Baird Bankovic

Amps?
    And I want to add a temp variation, could I do that by lowering the voltage through a variable resistor?

4. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

<shrug/>
    The bed heater output on the RAMPS is limited to 11 amps so it should be less than that. Lowering the voltage? No clue. Might just drive the current up, but you can try. Be safe.

Geof likes this.
  5. Baird Bankovic

Ok, thanks for the info, and my dad is am electrical engineer so he can help with the rest, have a good day!

6. daniel871

daniel871 Well-Known Member

So is the goal to make the most expensive coffee heater plate you can (between the labor and time you and your dad will spend on making it), or...?

Geof and WheresWaldo like this.
  7. Baird Bankovic

No, the point is to learn about these technologies by tinkering with them. And a build plate heater is cheep, I have a transformer that meets the requirements and I have a working 3d printer, so I would say it is a cheep project.

Geof and mark tomlinson like this.