1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Answered Cold Pull as Regular Maintenance?

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by mithander, Dec 9, 2018.

1. mithander

mithander New Member

Sorry if this has been asked before but I am new to the forum and couldn't find this exact question when searching. I recently had to clear a partially blocked nozzle using several "cold pulls" following instructions online using PLA at 150C. Now I am trying to do all I can to avoid future blockages and resulting failed prints and filament grinding which makes a huge mess. My question is, if a cold pull is such a good method to clear debris out of the nozzle, why is it not recommended to do it regularly? There is a sticker on my Robo proclaiming "Attention! Extruder Above 185C to LOAD and UNLOAD" I would happily unload at 150C after every print to help clear debris out of the nozzle, if it wasn't contraindicated by the sticker. Why is this not recommended?

2. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

Geof likes this.
  3. WheresWaldo

WheresWaldo Volunteer ( ͠° ͟ʖ ͡°)
    Staff Member

Cold pulls work very well for filaments with stuff in it, like glitter, carbon fiber bits, wood shavings, etc. All the instructions I have seen suggest using nylon filaments as your cold pull filament choice. The cold pull helps pick those bits out of the nozzle. But for just PLA like @mark tomlinson mentions, seasoning is the best thing you can do and it is super easy.

Geof likes this.