1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

ColorFabb XT Settings.

Discussion in 'Printing Filament' started by KTMDirtFace, May 30, 2015.

1. KTMDirtFace

KTMDirtFace Well-Known Member

Searched but didn't see anything on settings. Hopefully this is the right place to post this..as its not really a printer troubleshooting question.

Is anyone using this? I bought a spool of XT White from PrintedSolid as a hopeful ABS replacement. I'm having a heck of a time with it. ABS Is easier for me.

I have been printing test prints and documenting them into a spreadsheet literally all day long.

I finally got it to print somewhat well at 0.2mm layer height. 0.1mm...forget about it.

My main problems are ..
    1. Its constantly oozing when the nozzle is hot.. i have tried 230-250 temps.
    2. It seems really gooey and if any little booger gets caught on the nozzle it drags it around nearly indefinitly..unlike PLA or ABS which usually breaks off after a skirt.
    3. For some reason when I go to print even though its been ooozing out the entire time, it always takes a very very long time to start laying down plastic to the bed. I don't understand why.. I setup 4 pass skirts and depending on the size of my print it sometimes takes the entire skirt and more before its finally extruding.
    4. It seems to need a TON of retraction? ABS and PLA for me in simplify3d default to 30mm/s retraction speed and 1.00mm retraction distance. with the XT i have to go to 40+mm/s retraction speed and at least 4.5mm retraction distance.

I started using this as a baseline http://learn.colorfabb.com/print-_xt/ which helps.

I have a spreadsheet with all my test info and settings.

This is the model i have been using
    http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:313658

#1 KTMDirtFace, May 30, 2015
    Last edited: May 30, 2015
  2. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

Well, different materials do behave differently :)
    The fun is learning how to make them work for you.

Here is my profile (from Simplify) but the nozzle size will be incorrect for you so tweak that.
    I am using a volcano kit so this will not likely be a perfect match for yours.

(rename it to .fff)

Attached Files:

mikejsmith1985 likes this.
  3. KTMDirtFace

Thanks,

Strange your basically at the stock PLA settings from simplify other than your temeratures and layer height, and your cooling fan is not on.

This is what I have found to work so far. These were modified off of the standard Robo3d PLA preset simplify3d provided.
    For
    0.2mm Layer Height: This worked pretty well.
    FirstLayerHeight: 90%
    Extruder Temp: 245
    Bed Temp: 70
    PrintSpeed: 50 mm/s
    RetractionSpeed: 40mm/s
    Retraction distance: 4.5
    Cooling Fan: Yes after first layer
    Top/Bottom/Shells: 3/3/2

Result image http://ktmdirtface.smugmug.com/photos/i-vXCMnwP/0/X3/i-vXCMnwP-X3.jpg

0.1mm Layer Height: Tons of warping upwards in the frogs belly area other than that it was doing well. so much that i just killed the print but it was looking good other than that. no warping at .2mm above and no warping with PLA in .2 or .1mm layers.
    FirstLayerHeight: 150%
    Extruder Temp: 235
    Bed Temp: 70
    PrintSpeed: 30mm/s
    RetractionSpeed: 40mm/s
    Retraction distance: 4.5
    Cooling Fan: Yes after first layer
    Top/Bottom/Shells: 6/6/4

4. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

Well, the volcano probably confuses things, but those settings are spot on for mine. Also, I agree it is not wildly different than PLA (not sure what Simplify throws in for the PLA defaults). The layer height differences are due to the 0.8 nozzle and the temps are whatever I tuned in on the test model. The cooling fan may make a difference, I don't recall (you can play with it).

5. KTMDirtFace

Its the retraction setting that was the biggest issue for me. simplify defaults to 1.0 mm retraction distance and 30 mm/retraction speed. for PLA but with that XT stuff that leaves strings and boogers on small detailed parts. on big not to complex things I didn't notice it.

I changed to 4.5mm retraction distance and 40mm/s retraction speed per XT's guide and that helped a lot. but could probably use even more retraction.

6. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

You might be able to back down the temp a bit.

KTMDirtFace likes this.
  7. KTMDirtFace

I will try that..but im almost already at the min recommended temp. but it may help.
    Switched out to PLA today..trying to use up the stock robo blue stuff.

May print some quadcopter arms in XT soon. from thingiverse.

#7 KTMDirtFace, May 30, 2015
    Last edited: May 30, 2015
  8. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

Good luck with that :)

9. mikejsmith1985

mikejsmith1985 New Member

Just got my first spool of xt and I'm using your profile (also have the volcano) and the profile is printing a 5mm calibration step cube and its the vest looking print I've had to date. Thanks for sharing!

mark tomlinson likes this.
  10. David Sparrow

David Sparrow Member

I tried to print that same model in XT and never got it printing. I have a e3d V6 so I don't retract more than 1.8mm because of the heat break length.