1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Unresolved Compatible Heatsink Assemblies?

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by EvilDrReef, Jun 25, 2024.

1. EvilDrReef

EvilDrReef New Member

After nearly 9 years, I think my Hexagon has finally given up the ghost. Something seems supremely jammed in there. I'm going to try to heat it up tomorrow, but I'm not confident that it's going to come out.

PartsBuilt no longer offers the Hexagon assembly for the R1+. Are there any compatible hotend assemblies that are easy to just drop into the R1+? I've looked for the same part elsewhere, and it looks like no one makes it anymore. There are a few that look similar, but I'm not sure if they're identical. I figured the best way to be sure was to ask the experts.

If an exact Hexagon analogue doesn't exist, what would be the best way to proceed? I have another printer, so if I need to print any parts to modify the carriage, I can do that. Should I be looking into some of the fancy, modern E3D products?

Honestly, any assistance you can provide would be great. I love my little R1+, and I hope I can keep it printing along for many more years to come.

2. fred3d

fred3d Member

Have you considered the E3Dv6 conversion for the R1+ ? The information is on this forum, at the link just provided. I've been involved in two of these, one for myself, one for a friend and the process is nearly flawless. The results have been consistently good.

3. EvilDrReef

EvilDrReef New Member

I've considered it a few times, but I've always been a little bit hesitant. Even though I've been in the hobby for a very long time, I've had to do very little rewiring, and it seems like the upgrade might have a decent amount of running wires back and forth. It always struck me as somewhat complicated, but I'm open to the idea.

Unfortunately, the Google Doc in that link is dead. I've seen the upgrade megathread on the Mods and Upgrades forum, though. Are there any other detailed sources I should be looking into? Thanks!

4. fred3d

fred3d Member

Here's a working link, possibly even more comprehensive than the original. I don't recall the installation being particularly difficult, although it was necessary to print the release lever noted in the instructions. I used very tiny shrink-and-solder tubes to make the connections, which reduced the re-wiring by quite a bit.

5. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

The E3D is almost identical to the hexagon in the way the parts are used ... and you can buy just parts for it too, no need to buy an entire new hotend. For the R1+ there is a quick release plate that needs to be replaced/printed: https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:3167694
    otherwise the extruder will be loose.

6. BrooklynBay

BrooklynBay Active Member

7. BrooklynBay

BrooklynBay Active Member