1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Complete enclosure or hardware reuse ?

Discussion in 'Mods and Upgrades' started by tonycstech, Dec 16, 2018.

1. tonycstech

tonycstech Active Member

I like ABS prints. I can sand them with a sander and wipe them out with a cotton ball soaked in acetone for a good finish.
    But ABS curls like crazy.
    From my experience, head bed is only 15% or so, solution toward printing larger ABS parts (larger then 2x2 inches)
    Covering the printer with paper, makes ABS prints come out very nice and even.
    I cannot resist to do something about that, something thats not just some ugly looking enclosure but maybe a full size enclosure ?

Has anyone done that ?
    I dont see any problem with taking 90% of the R1 and just replace the foundation it stands on and attach it to a solid box made from either plexi glass or what not.

What are some good cheap materials i can use to make complete chassis for the printer and not go bankrupt ?
    DSC00003.JPG

EDIT: Funny i just noticed R1 latest mode is UP TO 50 print speed. LOL
    I print PLA at 70 and thats my normal.
    I guess they should have gone with my extruder and carriage design made to be low profile, lighter and easier to use.

2. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

3. tonycstech

tonycstech Active Member

thats the one i described as "some ugly looking enclosure" Didnt have the link to post it.
    I was thinking of something more of a ultimaker type of setup.

I wonder if making carriage move in X and Y save any space VS having bed move in Y

4. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

Hmm, probably would since the footprint then is more fixed. That is how the R2/C2 are.