1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Computer Specs

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by Ryan Simon, Jul 18, 2014.

1. Ryan Simon

Ryan Simon New Member

Hi guys,

I am curious as to the computer hardware requirements for these printers. I imagine using an old computer dedicated just for printing would be fine, but has anyone run into any issues with slow or out of date hardware?

2. tesseract

tesseract Moderator
    Staff Member

Not for software operations the main issue has been USB ports that may not be capable of supplying the proper power levels some older laptops ran into this issue

PC based will utilize a driver so that could be an issue if it is really old

MAC do not need one

I have run on both PC and MAC and currently on an older mac

The software available is not all that complex so it should not have issue running
    IF MatterControl software does not run on the older setup ther are other like repetier/Slic3r which work well (this is what I use to print)

For the most part the software focuses on USB data strings of commands sent to the printer
    there is the slicing aspect which can take some CPU power so that could be a slow point but it should still work

3. Jaeson Cardiff

Jaeson Cardiff Active Member

I tried running an old laptop from our office (Lenovo 2002 1.66 ghz windows xp) I had to manually install the SP3 and update the framework to version 4 to get it to work. While it did work, the lag was unacceptable. I found a newer Compaq we bought a few years ago (2011) and it runs like a champ.

CleanO2 Carbon Capture Tech

4. Ryan Simon

Ryan Simon New Member

Awesome, thanks for the advice! I wish they would post minimum and recommended specs on the website.