1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Connection Interrupted

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by studiver13, Dec 22, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. studiver13

studiver13 New Member

I haven't used my Robo in quite some time because I was having some serious issues with it and I got tired of always fixing it. I am now trying to bring life back into it but I am stuck.

Every time I turn it on, both the bed and extruder read 0 degrees and after a minute the "Connection Interrupted" error pops up. I solved this once by following this post: http://community.robo3d.com/index.p...ge-of-the-r2s-microsd-card.18831/#post-110915
    and it was at least turning on and let me use the printer. The issue I have with this solution is the printer no longer knows its name. It goes by a different name.
    I have also purchased a new magnetic spring bed, new bed cables, and new heater core cables in hopes to fix the heater issue.

The next issue happened when I homed the bed. The sensor goes too far back and leaves the build plate so the build plate continues to go up into the extruder. I have cleaned the sensor and still get the same issue.

The next issue that came up was the hot end would travel forward until it got to the front of the printer, and then continue to try to go forwards for about 5 more seconds and the horrible sound of grinding gears filled the room. Once I could not solve these issues, I took a few days break.

That leads me to today. Where I turned it back on and I am back to the "Connection Interrupted" error message.

Has anyone encountered this issue before and found a solution? Is there a way Robo can send me a new micro SD card that is specific for my printer? Or should I just give up on this printer and use the parts for a new purpose....

2. tkoco

tkoco - -.- --- -.-. ---
    Staff Member

Let's tackle the issues one at a time:

...the printer longer knows its name... <- You will need to log in via SSH and run the utility called raspi-config. You simply change the hostname to match the serial number on the back of the printer. The hostname option is under the "network" menu.

...The sensor goes too far back and leaves the build plate so the build plate continues to go up into the extruder....

1) change the hostname via SSH and raspi-config. Reboot the printer after making this change.

2) via a web browser, log into Octoprint using the network address of <hostname>.local Once you get the Octoprint screen, log into Octoprint. Default is pi & raspberry. Click on the Settings in the main menu and highlight the Serial Connection in the list. By default, the speed is set to "Auto". Change it to 115200 via the drop down menu.

3) look for a "plugin" called Firmware Updater. If it is missing from the PLUGINS menu, You will need to install it via the Plugin Manager.

4) download the latest Robo Marlin firmware from here: https://github.com/Robo3D/Marlin/releases/tag/Marlin_1.1.6_RoboVersion_1.2.6

You are looking for the file called:
    Marlin_1.1.6_RoboVersion_1.2.6_R2.hex

In the Octoprint plugin Firmware Updater, upload the Marlin_1.1.6_RoboVersion_1.2.6_R2.hex file
    Once the latest firmware is loaded on the main controller board, reboot the printer. Once the printer is ready, try homing the system ( Printer -> Motor -> Home button )

One caveat - you will need to re-level the print bed and run the PID wizard afterwards. Procedures can be found at the beginning of this Troubleshooting forum.

Let us know how things stand afterward.

3. studiver13

studiver13 New Member

I followed your directions and my OCD is now happy that my printer name is correct. However I am unable to connect to my printer via octoprint and the printer is showing "Connection Interrupted".
    Until I can actually connect, I cannot flash the firmware, unless there is another way to flash it. I also cannot access files on a flash drive on the printer because the printer thinks is busy doing something

4. tkoco

tkoco - -.- --- -.-. ---
    Staff Member

Ok. Go to the front panel (Utilities -> Network -> Network Status ) and copy down the IP address of your R2 printer. In your web browser, type in:

http://<IP address> and see if your web browser can connect to Octoprint.

The web browser might complain about the connection being unsecured. Ignore the warning.

5. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

There is another way.
    You need to open it up and connect a PC to the controller card. The Pi is currently connected so you would need to disconnect it and then connect a PC. Power everything up and use the Arduino IDE to flash the firmware from the source. While we can help you do that, it is not likely going to help the problem with the "connection interrupted"

When the R2 printer is reporting the connection interrupted it is often a failure of the pogo pins that deliver power to the heated bed. That tends to raise that error when it happens. I can't give you a firm explanation for WHY it does that (I don't have an R2 and the C2 doesn't have bed heaters).

Partsbuilt.com has the replacement for that part BUT -- I can't tell you all the details for how to swap it (@WheresWaldo or @Geof might can assist there) since I don't have one to look at.

https://www.partsbuilt.com/robo-r2-pogo-adapter-print-bed

6. tkoco

tkoco - -.- --- -.-. ---
    Staff Member

You bring up a good point. I recently experienced a similar problem. In my case, it was the firmware being corrupted. I was asking to make sure that @studiver13 had access to the Octoprint server. ( just in case it was a firmware issue ).

Speaking of which, @studiver13 , what version of print bed does your R2 printer have? Is it Version 1 or Version 2?

7. studiver13

studiver13 New Member

I think it is version 1. I do not have the pogo pins. I did purchase a new print bed cable, as the one I had pretty much disintegrated. There is a chance the connector pins themselves are bad, as the old cable melted all over them and they now look rusty. It appears the only way to replace those is to get an entire new print bed, which parts build does not have :/
    I will try tonight to hook up and flash the firmware directly to the board.
    Last time the new SD image fixed the connection error, so maybe the new firmware will fix it this time.

8. tkoco

tkoco - -.- --- -.-. ---
    Staff Member

Are you referring to this part as having "rusty" connections?
    https://www.partsbuilt.com/r2-bed-cable-robo/

If you are referring to the print bed itself, send an email to partsbuilt ( via their website ) and ask if they can procure the version 2, heated print bed. They cannot stock a part if they don't know that a part is needed.

One other item. Partsbuilt recommends that the print bed temperature to not exceed 60 C. Based on my experience with various filaments, I concur with their recommendation.

9. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

Version 1 had the pins, version 2 did not. They released an upgrade for v1 to remove the pogo pins.
    If you have a v1 and no upgrades, you have the pogo pins ...
    The upgrade essentially removed the pins (and perhaps the ability to disconnect the bed -- not clear to me).

tkoco likes this.
  10. tkoco

tkoco - -.- --- -.-. ---
    Staff Member

If he gets a new Version 2 bed and associated cable, he should be able to disconnect the print bed from the printer.

mark tomlinson likes this.
  11. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

OK, good -- they just changed the connection as opposed to eliminating it :)
    That was never clear to me.

12. WheresWaldo

WheresWaldo Volunteer ( ͠° ͟ʖ ͡°)
    Staff Member

Cable doesn't change nor is an adapter needed, you just plug the cable directly into the socket on the bed (not into the Pogo-Pin board like the original).

mark tomlinson likes this.
  13. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

Cool, that is good information to have :)
    It was never clear to me what the solution was that they were implementing other than it removed the pogo pins from the equation.

14. studiver13

studiver13 New Member

It appears then I do have V2. And the "rusty" parts on the actual bed connection pins. Based on some of the robo guides, most of them have the V1 with the pins in the videos so I just assumed that was the most recent bed. I have already replaced the cable that connects the print bed to the board as that disintegrated.

If flashing the new firmware does not fix the issue, I will look into getting a new bed. which will be sad as I just installed the new flex plate onto the bed.

15. tkoco

tkoco - -.- --- -.-. ---
    Staff Member

You could try cleaning the pins with Alcohol and a toothbrush.

16. studiver13

studiver13 New Member

Thanks for all the help and tips!
    Good news, I flashed the firmware and the printer was able to connect again. Turns out I also had the Y axis pins in backwards so it was going forwards thinking it should be hitting a limit switch. So hopefully it will stay working with that.

The not so good news, when I run the z offset wizard, it stops on step 1/4 with the extruder in the middle of the print area and the bed a few inches below it.
    When I look at the terminal output, all it is showing is wait and M105 but nothing else is happening.

17. tkoco

tkoco - -.- --- -.-. ---
    Staff Member

Which firmware did you use?

18. studiver13

studiver13 New Member

I initially used Marlin_1.1.6_RoboVersion_1.2.4 with the arduino IDE and then I flashed Marlin_1.1.6_RoboVersion_1.2.6_R2.hex using the firmware updater in octoprint.

19. tkoco

tkoco - -.- --- -.-. ---
    Staff Member

Try resetting the firmware parameters with M502 ( load factory defaults ) followed by M500 ( write to memory ). Doing these commands will flush out potentially bad parameters in the firmware. Log into Octoprint and use the Printer Terminal window.

Then try the Z Offset wizard again.

20. studiver13

studiver13 New Member

I tried resetting the factory defaults. I even recompiled the .hex file and re flashed it, just in case it was the C2 profile. I still get the same result.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.