1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Cracking noise

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by AlienBeans, Jun 10, 2017.

1. AlienBeans

AlienBeans Active Member

I noticed it in a small print I did earlier today, and now I'm doing a larger print and there's a cracking/clicking sound coming from the printer that wasn't there for the first few prints. The last print I did took 23 hours. I'm wondering if I just need to lube the rods a bit after such a long print job or if this is just a breaking in thing that will correct itself. Sounds like something is slipping (like a gear or something), but the printer appears to be working just fine. Any thoughts on this?

2. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

You need to narrow down where the noise is coming from then check the mechanical components of that axis. Something may be working loose. (23 hours isnt a long print but yes you should do maintenance regularly :) )

3. Ed Ferguson

Ed Ferguson Active Member

Alien - On your LCD select Motor Controls. Home the printer. Select 10mm as the distance. Now move each axis one at a time, back & forth, checking for noise. You should hear no pops - just the motors "singing" as the axis moves. See if you can isolate the noise to either the X, Y or Z axis and check back.

mark tomlinson likes this.
  4. AlienBeans

AlienBeans Active Member

Ed. That was great information. I did exactly as you outlined above and then I noticed something. I noticed during the tests that the noise occurs on the X axis. Then I looked at the top of the unit and noticed it appears the rods are not straight across. Could this be my problem and causing a minor bind in the unit? My prints are coming out terrific, but the noise concerns me a bit. I'm attaching a picture from the top of the machine so you can see the X axis rods. Is there a way to adjust them? Do they need adjusting? Thanks.

Attached Files:

5. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

Take the top cover off and you can see where they attach to the metal frame. One of mine (C2, but still) was knocked loose in shipping.

6. AlienBeans

AlienBeans Active Member

There really isn't a top cover to remove. I tried independently adjusting one end (gently) but with the belts and all its not moving without moving the entire assembly. I did take a short video to hear the grinding/binding noise but can't get it to attach here.

7. Ed Ferguson

The Robo R2 X & Y stepper motors, shafts, belts and extruder/hotend are attached to the upper white frame to form an assembly that attaches to the main chassis from the top.

The top frame assembly is held to the main chassis with 10 screws. First unplug the black braided cable from the extruder, and the connectors from the bottom of two stepper motors.

Once removed you should be able to see if the shaft bearings are aligned & tight.

Photo below is from the production line.

I'd only disassemble if you're comfortable doing so. Robo support needs to be contacted at this point.

R2 top frame assembly.jpg

mark tomlinson and WheresWaldo like this.
  8. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

Yep, disassembly is not easy. It can be a challenge since they did not intend for it to be user serviceable.

9. JeffreyB

JeffreyB Member

Loosen then allen screws (two per pulley) and then install the orange rod clips, then re-tighten the allen screws. This should square the rods...

jwmueller and Todd Wessendorf like this.
  10. AlienBeans

AlienBeans Active Member

I was able to get the rods straightened, so that is solved.

Geof and mark tomlinson like this.
  11. Ed Ferguson

That's great! Tell us what you did and how you did it. Maybe it will help someone down the line.

12. IBot07

IBot07 New Member

I'm having the same issue. How did you straighten the rods?

Sent from my SM-G930R4 using Tapatalk

13. JeffreyB

JeffreyB Member

Loosen the allen screws (two per pulley, 4 pulleys) and then install the orange rod clips which will square the assembly, then re-tighten the allen screws. This should square the rods...