1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Solved Creating Robo print files from Solidworks file,

Discussion in 'General Questions' started by joea, Jan 23, 2020.

1. joea

joea Active Member

Finally got around to dabbling with Solidworks and have created a file I wish to print on a Robo R1.

I saved it as an STL file and it load into Matter Control and displays in the print preview, but, "on edge" rather than flat as I thought I had designed it. I use the term designed rather loosely in my case.

Clearly it cannot print this way and even turned the right way I may have to add a support of some kind.

Advisors, please advise. Or, chastise, but gently please.

I did get the attached warning from solidworks when saving the file.

Attached Files:

#1 joea, Jan 23, 2020
    Last edited: Jan 23, 2020
  2. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

I can't speak for MatterControl but most slicers will let you force it to the bed surface (the model) once you have it oriented correctly.

3. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

Here is an example in Simpify -- I can force it to the bed:

printexample.jpg

4. joea

joea Active Member

I'll poke around a bit more, but did not see a way, right off the bat. Just to save me some brainwork, does Simplify support the R1 "out of the box"? Free?

5. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

Yes

No.

However other slicers will support re-positioning the model relative to the bed -- I just never use MC so I can't tell you how to do it with that.

6. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

Heck I have positioned a model half-way through the bed once to only print the part above the bed as a way to recover a print that crashed and failed about 1/2 way up ;)

7. joea

joea Active Member

OK, so I stumbled upon it, but rotated it the wrong way. Trying to fix that crashed MC. I will keep at it, should figure it out eventually.

Thanks.

mark tomlinson likes this.
  8. joea

joea Active Member

OK, so, this has changed from a Robo/MC question to a Solidworks question. I've sampled their forums and frankly find it a bit overwhelming.

Basically I created a part from several "extruded boss/base". Roughly in the shape of a sewing thread spool or sewing machine bobbin as a replacement part.

Turns out I have the "diameter" way off, about twice the size I intended and cannot figure out how to select the diameter.(s) to edit. The "smart dimension" thing in either a lot smarter than me, or a lot dumber. I can find the "height" and the "chamfer" but not the diameter.

Would be great to ask it to do it as a calculated percentage of the current value.

9. joea

joea Active Member

Still waiting for Solidworks support, but I did manage to find the somewhat non-intuitive and well hidden (to me anyway) selection menus that, eventually allowed me to change the diameters of the object I had created.

Frustrating, maddening, but ultimately satisfying. Now, if I am able to remember these steps . . .

10. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

and many of the details differ from one CAD program to the next :)

11. joea

joea Active Member

And the adventure continues . . . I should probably start another thread for this, but . . .

The part needs some supports. or may need to be made in two pieces, unprintable as currently designed. Simply stated, it is roughly shaped like a sewing thread spool or bobbin. Prints fine till it gets to the top "spool" and tries to print in mid air.

I thought MC would magically add the supports when I selected that in the settings. I guess not.

Where are such supports to be added, at the design stage or the "printing" stage?

12. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

With Simlpify they would get auto added or you can manually add them ... I have no clue how intelligent MatterControl is at that. You can always try another free slicer and see if it manages to do the deed.

13. joea

joea Active Member

Tried again after playing around a bit more, and it did create a support grid. Problem is, the grid is so supportive (dense) it looks impossible to remove.

Best bet is to redesign the part in two pieces. But Solidworks won't spit it in the Student version, so I will have to do it the hard way.

14. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

FWIW... MeshMixer is pretty good at supports (or so I hear) :)

15. joea

joea Active Member

I may give it a try. I did download it and imported the part. When I realized it would not allow me to rotate the part to the orientation to which I had forced it to print, I went back to MC and set it up as it was originally presented. "On its side".

With supports it printed fine. Was fairly easy remove the supports.

mark tomlinson likes this.