1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Cura 15.06.01 Experiences

Discussion in 'Software' started by SinfoniaSam, Jul 3, 2015.

1. SinfoniaSam

SinfoniaSam New Member

So Ultimaker released a new version of Cura. With this version comes new capabilities and a totally revamped GUI.

My initial impressions (using OS X Version):

• Where's the printer config wizard? I start it up, and it asks for my printer's name and that's it. It seems that Ultimaker all but removed out of the box support for anything but their printer line.
    • New layout is much more logical and fantastic. Well done!
    • Where do I configure my print bed dimensions? Am I missing something?
    • The slicing engine is SLOOOOOOOWWWWW. No joke, I've been waiting for 10 minutes for the layers view to display. The .stl file took much longer to load it the application as well.
    • Extra options for support material and infill, welcome additions. I can't wait to try the zig-zag pattern for both
    • Still waiting...
    • Cost Calculator is gone. :(
    • Still waiting... I'm starting to think it's freezing (this is my 3rd attempt at slicing)

TL;DR: New layout is awesome. Slicing engine got MUCH slower. Big steps backward in compatibility for non-Ultimaker printers.

Are you guys having similar experiences? Honestly, I couldn't get it to fully slice the model, so I still haven't used it to print anything...

mark tomlinson likes this.
  2. jbigler1986

jbigler1986 Active Member

Well on their downloads page it reads "Ultimaker Original users who use the ‘Configuration Wizard’ and ‘Bed Leveling Wizard’, please download Cura 15.04 on our downloads page." So there ya go on that one.

3. SinfoniaSam

SinfoniaSam New Member

Fair enough. I'm sure they're working on that functionality (I remember reading on their knowledge base somewhere, sorry I can't find the link).

But I get it. It's new (free) software, so there are going to be problems. Overall I really like the direction, and I hope they get these shortcomings fixed soon, cause I'm chomping at the bit to use it! Until then, I'll still happily use Cura 15.04.

4. jbigler1986

jbigler1986 Active Member

Yeah I think Cura is the best free slicer out there for slicing. Repetier is best if you plan on using controls for your printer. I do everything from lcd so no need for that.