1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Cura for Mac install......

Discussion in 'Software' started by John M. Fruits, Feb 18, 2017.

1. John M. Fruits

Finally, Robo put the instructions on the software page to install Cura for the Mac. The setup was fairly simple, and it is now installed.

However, there is not "connection" to the printer. There doesn't even seem to be an option to actually connect the printer directly. I can create "code" files, and then use octoprint to print them. but I am interested in the ability to send them directly to the printer from Cura (like the windows version).

Am I missing something?

2. John M. Fruits

Solved! ..... This is for Cura 2.3.1

Step 1) Download the following plugin. https://github.com/fieldofview/OctoPrintPlugin

Step 2) Go to your downloads folder and then open in finder, then copy the folder "OctoPrintPlugin-2.3"

Step 3) Got to your Applications folder, locate Cura, and right click to "Show Package Contents"

Step 4) Click on "Contents", then "Resources", then "Plugins", then "Plugins" again.

Step 5) on the second "Plugins" directory, right click and hit paste. You should have a directory named "OctoPrintPlugin-2.3"

Step 6) Rename the directory to just "OctoPrintPlugin" (Remove the "-2.3" from the name)

Restart Cura and you will be good to go..... You'll now be able to add your API to the OctoPrint Radio under Manage Printer

How to add your API

You need to copy your API key from within Octoprint and paste it in the Cura printer settings.

1. Browse to your printer's IP (loads Octoprint)
    2. Go to settings, near the top on the right hand side
    3. The ninth Option is your API KEY
    4. Copy your key, then hit cancel.
    5. Go to Cura, Manage your printer.
    6. Click on the Octoprint Tab (Center one)
    7. "Add" your API KEY (paste) it in the white box.
    8. Click the Connect.

mark tomlinson likes this.
  3. STEM_Steve

STEM_Steve Member

4. Will . I . Am

Will . I . Am Member

I'm curious where did you get all the setting to make a good profile in Cura for your printer? I have the Robo 3d R1 plus model and I'm trying to replicate all setting from MatterControl to Cura 2.3.1 so I can switch slicers.

5. STEM_Steve

STEM_Steve Member

Robo posted the profiles for the C2.. I have a R1 as well, but I don't use Cura for it.

6. WheresWaldo

WheresWaldo Volunteer ( ͠° ͟ʖ ͡°)
    Staff Member

Robo has profiles for both Cura 15.04 (older and required by OctoPrint) and Cura 2.3 posted on their GITHUB. If you want to modify them and you will as they are not perfect, you will need to install the appropriate version of Cura depending on which ones you want o modify.

Here is the major difference. If you just want to send STL files to your printer and have the C2 slice them for you, you should install Cura 15.04 on your PC, that way you can tweak the profiles on your PC then import them onto the rPi that is located inside your C2. Since one of OctoPrint's requirements is that the last version of CuraEngine they support is 15.04.6 you cannot use anything newer or the slicing on the C2 will fail.

If you are sending sliced models to the C2 then you can use either 15.04 or 2.3 or newer and slice them on your PC or Mac then only send the resulting gcode file to the C2. Robo's version of Cura downloadable from here is version 2.3 the current version from Ultimaker is 2.4. Make sure you start with the appropriate set of profiles depending on your workflow.

mark tomlinson likes this.