1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Unresolved Curling Issue

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by Ryan TeGantvoort, Apr 26, 2016.

1. Ryan TeGantvoort

Ryan TeGantvoort Active Member

Hi all!

Attached is an image of a print I am having troubles with. I am printing with the Robo Blue PLA filament that comes with the Robo R1 +PLUS. I am using the Full Graphics LCD to print from SD Card.

Filament type: PLA
    Extruding Temp: 210-190
    Bed Temp: 55
    Bed makeup: Elmers Glue Stick
    Print Speed: 50mm/s

I looked at the Simplify3D Troubleshooting Print Quality Guide here: https://www.simplify3d.com/support/print-quality-troubleshooting/#curling-or-rough-corners, but these solutions have yet to fix the issue.

I started printing PLA at 210 but after reading that guide I thought I may be Overheating, so I have dropped down to 190 but I am still getting the Curling. Its weird that it always happens in the same corner. I am going to try to rotate the Print 90 or 180 and see if the same corner has issues.

I can see the Print is completely stuck to the Bed as well, first layer is great too. The Curling is not being caused by the Print not sticking to the bed. I had a similar issue once before on my Spool Mount but one corner was definitely not stuck then.

Could my Bed Temp be too high?

I have my Fan running 100%, could it be a cooling issue as well?

I have also tried lowering Acceleration all the way to 300 and I lowered the XY Jerk from 17.0 to 15.0. This definitely helped with the Ribbing, some of my layers seem to still be extruding wider than others.

I made all the changes in small increments to hopefully find the issue but I have not had any luck.

Any help is greatly appreciated!

Attached Files:

2. Ryan TeGantvoort

Well I just finished printing one rotated 180 degrees Z-axis, and it was the Front Right Corner that Curled up again. I also tried printing 2 at the same time to help with cooling.

Attached Files:

3. Nathan Simers

Nathan Simers Member

is that were its starting and stopping for each layer?

4. Ryan TeGantvoort

After looking closely through the Preview Mode in Simplify3D, the print actually starts new layers in different spots/corners. But sometimes it does start in the problem corner.

5. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

I typically run my first layer at 30% speed, no fans for first 5 layers. Aqua net extra hold hairspray and 60 deg on the bed pla at 195(temps are trivial info as all printers are different but sometimes a reference point is good)

mark tomlinson likes this.
  6. Ryan TeGantvoort

Thanks @Geof

I was running first layer at 35% but I have the fan turning on right after layer 1. I will adjust the fan and see if I get any changes in this part. I will try running first layer at 30% as well and see if I get any changes.

I just printed a bunch of Cable Chain Links yesterday and they all stuck finally! There was always that 1 or 2 that wouldn't stick. I started to use a lot more glue stick to prep the bed and it seems to be sticking very well. Previously, I was just putting a thin layer on. I have been cleaning the bed prior to every print, so I get a fresh layer of glue each time.

I also upped the extruder temp to 220 and kept the bed at 55. I moved all my acceleration rates back to where they were except the XY Jerk Value, which is set at 15.0 now. DEFAULT_MAX_ACCELERATION {900,900,100,10000} and DEFAULT_ACCELERATION 600

I will try to run this part in question to see if any of these changes have helped.

7. Ryan TeGantvoort

I tried turning my bed temp up to 60 previously but my print had the "Elephant Foot"

8. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

I had mixed results with glue sticks so i went to hairspray. It works well and i just add a short burst to where i popped the print off. Rarely do i clean the bed .... seems to work out ok lol

9. Ryan TeGantvoort

Cool I will have to get a can of AquaNet and try it out.

10. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

Just remember to raise your carriage up to avoid overspray