1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Cutting STL files

Discussion in 'General Questions' started by VigilantWookie, Sep 23, 2020.

1. VigilantWookie

VigilantWookie New Member

So I'm trying to cut/slice an STL file that I have that is too large to fit on the print surface. I'm using Fusion 360 to do so. I sliced the object and saved each piece as its own STL file. However, when I went into Cura to prepare the print, the sliced pieces were HUGE!!! I'm still very new to 3D printing and was wondering what I needed to do to make certain that the dimensions remain the same after I cut the object. Any help anyone can offer is greatly appreciated!!! Thanks in advance.

2. VigilantWookie

VigilantWookie New Member

I may have solved it. Giving Meshmixer a try, and it seems to work great....so far.

3. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

STL files do not contain units so the slicer usually assume metric and if the model is set for SAE then the size difference will be immediately obvious :)

4. tkoco

tkoco - -.- --- -.-. ---
    Staff Member

@mark tomlinson is correct. The slicing engine maps the model dimensions to the selected measurement scale (SAE vs Metric). Some software assume Metric scale by default (like FreeCAD) where as others might select SAE by default. Depends on what modeling software was used to create the model.
    The slicing software assumes Metric scale (like Cura or Simplify 3D)