1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

D.E.I.S.S. Dual Extruder Interfacing Single Stepper

Discussion in 'Mods and Upgrades' started by Stargrove1, Jan 25, 2015.

1. Mike Kelly

Mike Kelly Volunteer

What if on the cyclops/chimera instead of making it move linearly you just had it pivot on an axis?

2 people like this.
  2. Stargrove1

Stargrove1 Member

Here it is, my white filament oozes a lot, also with the single extruder, but for the first prototype of the extruder quite nice.

upload_2015-1-28_16-25-56.png

I think not a total redesign, the lever to move the motor must be shortened, the filament path must be adapted to the new distance between the two nozzles and the hotend mount must be changed. But principle could stay the same.

4 people like this.
  3. Stargrove1

Stargrove1 Member

I thought about that too, but with the big clearence (28mm) between the hotends, the required space would have been way bigger. Perhaps an option for the chimera/cyclops design.

4. Mike Kelly

Mike Kelly Volunteer

2 people like this.
  5. Stargrove1

Stargrove1 Member

6. Sanjay Mortimer

Sanjay Mortimer E3D-HotEnd

Stargrove, this is awesome. Sanjay from E3D here, you need a Chimera/Cyclops in your life. If you get in touch with us on our contact-us page:
    https://e3d-online.com/ContactUs
    Then we'll gladly get you one for free. I'd love to see this implemented on a Chimera/Cyclops with the tighter 18mm filament-filament spacing.

I've considered designs like this at length in the past, and the one thing that always put me off is that the un-driven filament is not really well constrained axially, so if the carriage moves in a direction away from the spool the filament may be pulled up out of the hotend, thus putting your E axis way out of whack. Does your idler tension apply enough force to the filament to hold it against the walls of the extruders filament guide hole to secure it in place to stop the filament being yanked out by carriage motion?

Mike, a lot of the stratasys machines rotate the head about an axis to simultaneously lift one nozzle, lower the other, and engage the appropriate filament against the drive gear. Robox do a similar thing, but also use the rotation via cams to actuate their pin valves, with a bowden system, so no filament drive switching.

Cheers,
    Sanjay

6 people like this.
  7. Stargrove1

Stargrove1 Member

Hello Sanjay, thank you for the appreciation of my design. I would love to adapt a cyclops/chimera to my design, I will contact you as soon as possible at your homepage.

About the un-driven filament, I designed the extruder as you described, when the pinch wheel leaves the filament, the ball bearing pushes the filament slightly to the filament path above and below, by this it is held in place until the pinch wheel returns. Two screws are added to adjust the end positions of the levers, not to over push and bent the filament to much. Backup plan was to use the lever above the block to hold the filament in position, but so far it works well, but I only did a few testprints and need more long term testing to find flaws in the design.

8. Magic-Goat

Magic-Goat Member

Do you think there is enough tension to keep flexible filaments like ninjaflex from moving?

9. Stargrove1

Stargrove1 Member

Unfortunatelly, I don't have Ninjaflex to test it, only a flexible TPFE, but with this material it seems to be ok. If I create a follow up model, I will probably integrate a filament stop at the lever to hold it in place, not only with the bearing.

10. Stargrove1

Stargrove1 Member

Today I got a mail from E3D, a free Legends Pack (http://e3d-online.com/Multi-Extrusion/Legends-Pack) will be sent to me. I can't wait to create a V2 of the extruder powered by Chimera/Cyclops.

Many thanks to Sanjay and the Team from E3D for the great opportunity to adapt my design to the Chimera and Cyclops.

6 people like this.
  11. Mike Kelly

Mike Kelly Volunteer

I'm excited to see what you come up with. Lemme know if you'd like a model of the chimera/cyclops

2 people like this.
  12. Stargrove1

Stargrove1 Member

If you have already a model of the hotend, it would be great if you could make it avaliable for me.

13. Mike Kelly

Mike Kelly Volunteer

Sure, just let me know what file format you prefer. They're native solidworks 2013 files

14. Stargrove1

Stargrove1 Member

Is there a common format, I use FreeCAD at the moment. STL should be fine I think

15. Mike Kelly

Mike Kelly Volunteer

Here's the complete assemblies, lemme know if you want more parts

Attached Files:

2 people like this.
  16. Magic-Goat

Magic-Goat Member

My chimera arrived the other day. Hope you can get this working with it :p

2 people like this.
  17. NJC

NJC New Member

What an awesome idea! I printed up all the parts and they work together perfectly right out of the printer, nice job! You obviously spend timeless hours on this project, can't wait to see what you come up with for the Cyclops. I would assume this could also be used for dissolvable filament for supports as well as two colors?

3 people like this.
  18. Stargrove1

Stargrove1 Member

Thank you. I spent most of the Christmas Holydays working on the extruder. I am glad to hear that you could print it successfully, would be cool to hear if it works for you as good as for me. You could use it for two color as well as for two different materials of raft or support. As soon as I could find the time, I will work on a new version for cyclops / chimera.

19. John Rygg

John Rygg Active Member

awesome you should sell these !

3 people like this.
  20. Stargrove1

Stargrove1 Member

Thanks John, but it's still in prototype phase, far from a series production ;)