1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Dental/orthodontic models

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by Michael Lyons, Feb 19, 2015.

1. Michael Lyons

Michael Lyons New Member

I currently use an iTero scanner to make models of my patient's teeth but I have to pay a lab $15 each to print. I've been waiting for an affordable desktop printer to become available. Does anyone have any experience with printing dental models? Are there any ROBO users out there willing to print a model for me to let me know how long it takes, what is the materiel cost? I would also want the model sent to me so I can make a retainer off of it to verify accuracy. I am willing to compensate for time, materials and shipping

2. Mike Kelly

Mike Kelly Volunteer

Dental model accuracy you'd be best off using a SLA printer like the form1

3. Michael Lyons

Michael Lyons New Member

Thanks Mike. Is that because of the resolution or the type of printer? I've looked at Form1 and it looked promising but I couldn't get any answers about time and material cost

4. Mike Kelly

Mike Kelly Volunteer

Resolution mostly. You get better X-Y resolution with a laser than you do with FDM printers. You can get pretty high resolution from FDM with a .25mm nozzle and 50micron layer heights, but even then they tend to have more issues with the kind of resolution you'd need for dental models.

Form1 uses a UV reactive resin. Cheapest I've seen it is about $60 per L http://www.makerjuice.com/

You can load up a model in a software like Cura and simulate print times and material cost.

5. Michael Lyons

Michael Lyons New Member

I just checked their website and they now have a little dental application but it's not for making appliances...mainly just for case presentation. The machine itself is a lot more expensive and at $60/L it will probably still cost me $15 per model, which is what my lab charges so I wouldn't be saving anything. I'll keep my eye on it though. Thanks

6. Mike Kelly

Mike Kelly Volunteer

For a small dental model you'd probably only use a few g of material. That L would last quite a while. Though it would take a really long time to pay off the high upfront cost of the Form1.

If you want to send me a model I can try and get you some demo's at varying layer heights with a .4mm nozzle.

7. Michael Lyons

Michael Lyons New Member

Sure that would be great. I had a couple guys on the Form1 Forum offer to make me a model but I guess no one followed through. If I can get the cost of the model down to $5 I will save about $300 per month so I would have the machine paid off in a year. I've attached the same file that I sent Robert. I'm happy to reimburse for time, materials and shipping. I'd like to know print time and amount of material used so I can calculate $/print

Attached Files:

8. Mike Kelly

Mike Kelly Volunteer

The reason why no one responded to your Form1 request was probably because the model you sent is not a closed body stl. There's nothing under the teeth to give it a solid body to work with a slicer.

As it is right now it's unprintable until the STL is repaired and closed.

9. Michael Lyons

Michael Lyons New Member

Hmmmm. My lab fills the shell in. I think I have the option of using a solid core .stl. Let me see if I can do that and I will send you the file if it works

10. Michael Lyons

Michael Lyons New Member

No my software only gives the option of open shell. Thanks for trying though

11. Mike Kelly

Mike Kelly Volunteer

Alright using netfabbs online repair tool I got a version that's printable.

Lemme get some numbers for you

12. Mike Kelly

Mike Kelly Volunteer

With .4mm nozzle, 50% density, $30/kg filmanet, 1.2mm shell, 1.2mm top/bottom thickness, 80mm/s print speed, Times are approx and may be slightly longer.
    12 grams, ~$0.36
    300micron: 49 minutes
    200micron: 1 hour 9 minutes
    100micron: 2 hour 18 minutes
    50micron: 4 hour 33 minutes

With .25mm nozzle, 50% density, $30/kg filmanet, 1mm shell, 1.2mm top/bottom thickness
    11 grams ~$0.34
    100micron: 3 hours 6 minutes
    50micron: 6 hour 9 minutes
    25micron: 12 hour 17 minutes

As you can see layer height affects time directly. The cost doesn't change much for material, just time.

Form1 software also generates an estimated material consumption as well. I'll throw this in and see what it spits out.

13. Stephen Capistron

Stephen Capistron Active Member

Full Spectrum Laser is another lower cost SLA out there.
    http://www.fsl3d.com/pegasus-touch/

From being on the side of the fence and constantly outsourcing 3D prints I think you are going to have a hard time beating $15 per print. When you take into account your time to figure what you are doing with the printer and that not every print will come out right for a variety of reasons your labor costs will catch up quick.

Now if in the back of your mind you think you might want a 3D printer to just mess around with then go to town.

2 people like this.
  14. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

Yea, if you ignore the start up costs (the learning curve) it would be cheaper, but I heartily agree that the detail he needs is going to be tough with FDM. SLA--not a problem.

#14 mark tomlinson, Feb 19, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 19, 2015
  15. Mike Kelly

Mike Kelly Volunteer

Form 1 software suggests it would take 10.3mL without support and 19.1mL with support. At $65/L that's ~$0.67 to $1.25 per print

print time estimates:
    1 hour 11 minutes at 100 micron
    2 hours 11 minutes at 50 micron.
    .25micron takes about 5 hours