1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Dual Extruder Firmware & Arduino

Discussion in 'Mods and Upgrades' started by 3DDP, Oct 30, 2016.

1. 3DDP

3DDP New Member

I've had issues updating the firmware using Arduino. Even the stock Robo Firmware creates an exit status 1 error code in Arduino without modifying anything.

"using typedef-name 'pos_t' after 'struct'

2. danzca6

danzca6 Well-Known Member

Yep...well know issue with old Marlin firmware versions and the newer versions of Arduino IDE. Just do a global search and replace within your sketch and change fpos_t to filepos_t. You will be all set.

#2 danzca6, Oct 30, 2016
    Last edited: Oct 30, 2016
    Toro1966 and Geof like this.
  3. JoshYourITGuy

JoshYourITGuy Active Member

Or in Arduino, go to Tools->Board->Board Manager, find Arduino AVR Boards by Arduino, click it, click Select Version, choose 1.6.11 and click Install. Close and reload Arduino, ignore the error about it being out of date, and upload the sketch again.

mark tomlinson likes this.
  4. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

Do go getting all simplistic on us now...
    It needs to be complicated or we are out a job.

:)

JoshYourITGuy likes this.
  5. danzca6

danzca6 Well-Known Member

But why would you want to go backwards on the AVR Board version? I see it works, but at what cost. The quick search and replace in the sketch lets it work in new and old versions. Just curious what the pros and cons are of this solution.

6. JoshYourITGuy

It was the easiest solution I could find on my own when 1.6.12 came out and I had a fresh install trying to get my printer back online.
    I have it still using 1.6.11 and have had no issues with a variety of boards, including ESPs, Adafruit stuff, and other Arduino boards.
    If I ever need to, all I have to do is go back into board manager and update it.

Once the Marlin code (Robo version) is 1.6.12+ compliant across the board, this wont be an issue. But I have had a sketch for an Adafruit board throw an exception that was also resolved by reverting to 1.6.11

7. WheresWaldo

WheresWaldo Volunteer ( ͠° ͟ʖ ͡°)
    Staff Member

@JoshYourITGuy, your rationale only works with Robo firmware and Marlin 1.0.0. All the newer versions of firmware compile just fine with 1.6.12. I even test every version of the bleeding edge RCBugFix and they all compile just fine with 1.6.12. There are compiler fixes that result in smaller compiled code with the upgrade. Besides this anyone moving forward that doesn't at least try Marlin 1.1.0 is really missing out on a very robust and feature rich Marlin firmware. It is a giant step up from anything Robo has done.

8. JoshYourITGuy

Again, it was a spur-of-the-moment must-get-this-working few-beers-in fix for me. I am eventually going to dig through 1.1.0 and tinker, especially now that I have cloned the R1 and have a better understanding of some of the settings. My next step is to build a CNC running Marlin, and then maybe a Delta running Marlin. The power Marlin has is intense.