1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Dual Extruder Upgrade Thread Locked

Discussion in 'Mods and Upgrades' started by SoLongSidekick, Mar 16, 2019.

1. SoLongSidekick

SoLongSidekick Active Member

Why is the dual extruder upgrade thread locked? There is zero reason for it to be locked.

Mark, if you see this: how is the mod working out? Did you end up finding which slicer works best? Any chance you could write up a step-by-step instructional? It's kind of hard to understand as it's spread across multiple posts across multiple pages.

2. WheresWaldo

WheresWaldo Volunteer ( ͠° ͟ʖ ͡°)
    Staff Member

I believe it is locked because there still is no solution from Robo on the C2/R2 Raspberry Pi menu controlling the second extruder. I would bet my life that any of the promised R2/C2 upgrades from Robo have been abandoned, so unless you want to basically do what Robo can't or won't then you may be out of luck with regard to dual extrusion.

Geof likes this.
  3. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

I probably locked it to keep folks from thinking it was a Robo thread -- I will unlock it.
    The thread is what it is and I can try to coalesce the information into a more linear post :)
    It is working fine with some caveats noted in the thread -- the largest one is how little print area you will actually end up with.
    OK for small things. I did it just to learn anyway. The big takeaway for me was that dual extrusion is largely a waste of time on this style of arrangement. Not regarding size, but just what you can accomplish with dual extrusion versus what it takes to make it work. The extra modeling and design work is ... a lot. We decided we were better off in my house by simply modeling around it -- generate parts that are stand-alone and then combine them after printing.

In short, we don't do much dual extrusion printing.

Geof likes this.
  4. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

and I unlocked that thread :)

Geof likes this.
  5. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

I imagine if you did dual extrusion to avoid painting (i.e. dual color) there are some advantages.
    It is just so easy to airbrush prints and you can do such a tremendously better job with that approach.

Geof likes this.
  6. SoLongSidekick

SoLongSidekick Active Member

I have a Prometheus system and am trying to decide if I'll waste a birthday / tax return on a Pallet 2. The Prometheus will be installed on my R1+ because of the limited build area on the C2 (I have an R1 that I added the Y axis upgrade, leadscrew upgrade, and auto-bed leveling; that's basically an R1+ right? I could care less about the LED). It would be kind of laughable to put a Pallet 2 on the C2 but it's the most logical way to get multiple colors/materials due to the lack of a purge tower. I was mostly pursuing a solution like this for the ability to print with a dedicated support filament. Either a dissolving one or Polysupport; I've never used the latter but others have had great results. The vast majority of my prints that I'd care to have colored would be printed in Polysmooth, smoothed, and airbrushed. I would also really like the ability to print with a stiff and flexible material at the same time too though, and dual nozzles seems like the best way to do that. Still might convert my R1 to dual extrusion, but I think the C2 is nixed from the list.

7. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

We have a Palette 1 on an R1 (sadly have not actually used it yet).

Yep.