1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

E3d help

Discussion in 'Mods and Upgrades' started by Racegrafix, Jan 21, 2014.

1. Racegrafix

Racegrafix Active Member

Ok, installed new E3d.
    Tested real quick before wiring fan, worked fine, didn't heat it up....just tested to make sure it worked. Temps climbed as they should.

Wired fan to 12v constant, fan works.

Tried to heat to 300c, and it does nothing but cool off due to fan blowing. Heater is no longer working. Connections are perfect, no issue with those.

2. CAMBO3D

CAMBO3D New Member

how about post some pics of your installation..where you landed your wires.. etc..

3. Racegrafix

Racegrafix Active Member

Followed stock wire routes. Its working now, I homed everything a couple times restarted rep host and unplugged and replugged everything. Hopefully it was just a software quirk...Will post more if it does it again.

4. Racegrafix

Racegrafix Active Member

I cant seem to get it over 250c. Updated the firmware to raise limit, rep host say maxtemp triggered and shuts it off. It seems like I saw someone else with same problem but couldn't locate it again.

Edit:
    Fixed problem.
    Anyone else with this issue, make sure port is correct in marlin software deal, it never says if it works or not when you do it...so you just have to do it again if it doesn't work.

5. tompeel1

tompeel1 New Member

Hi All, Just installed the e3d looks smart having a hard time with temps though,

Marlin updated to the newest one flashed a couple of times now.

Set the Thermocouple to #8 as recommended in the e3d install pdf
    Set max temp to 330oC

I can get the temp to hold steady at 200 but if i go more it just fires up the heat range in jumps of 15-20 oC at a time i cant believe that the new heat cartridge can heat it that fast for one so i think there might be a problem with the thermistor or something else on that side of it all.

As i sit here its not holding at 220 jumps to 260 numbers and drops back down???

just got my multimeter on the thermo couple to the board and thats reading nice smoot hreadouts nice and steady at 75Kohm at 200 drops to 57KOhm nice and steard when i type 300 in to Repetier but the program reads its jumped to 400 numbers... ? going to try and put it back on thermister option one in hope but anyone have any ideas?

Attached Files:

6. Racegrafix

Racegrafix Active Member

All i changed was the max temp...mine works great. Temps seem correct...haven't checked tho.

7. tompeel1

tompeel1 New Member

Thats the thing i dont know what resistance its supposed to be but 75 is about rite..

8. tompeel1

tompeel1 New Member

ahh sorry you didnt change to thermistor 8 in the marlin firmware?

9. tompeel1

tompeel1 New Member

FFS!! I have spent my entire life being told i cant follow basic instructions! so the one time i do its bloody wrong!! fixed it i did think it was supposed to be on #1 form the description....

Guess we are not running the latest Marlin on the ROBO yet?!

10. Racegrafix

Racegrafix Active Member

My instructions didnt say change anything...so i didnt. I raised max temp though.

11. Melody Bliss

Melody Bliss New Member

The Marlin firmware is setup to be a generic firmware for many different printers. You should read the Configuration.h file based on the edition that you downloaded. Going to the "latest" firmware may not be what you want. In the documentation we expressly grab firmware that was provided to us by Robo 3D

12. tompeel1

tompeel1 New Member

Hey Melody, I know and should have known better! ha it was new to me and therefore should have been the latest in my head!

13. Bart Dekker

Bart Dekker New Member

well I installed it, I tested the fan first to see if it worked, hooked it up to 12v constant, and worked, it blew, so I unhooked it, installed the e3D, plugged the fan into the exact same power supply port, powered it up, it ticked and done, nothing, the robo3D won't even react to any input from repetier, it says it has errors that I need to fix first. Did it by the book, none of the wires are connecting, it just busted.

wtf am I doing wrong here!

14. 1d1

1d1 Active Member

Actually, despite what the instructions said, the correct config.h setting # on my version of Arduino is "5". However, I just left it at "1" (the ROBO setting) as they are both configured for the same basic readings.

15. 1d1

1d1 Active Member

As for the fan, you could just hook it u p to the same terminals where the PS goes into the Arduino boards. It is a constant 12v and the fan doesn't suck enough energy to affect anything else when you do that. It runs then whenever the machine is turned on.

16. tompeel1

tompeel1 New Member

On thong to keep on mind is the thermistor wires are @#$@ing fragile I rigged my whole thing up tested it the fitted it all and in that process snapped one of the tiny wires so I was tight with my kapton tape amd had enough to re do it shortening the wires down a little where I snaped it..

Might help you if its temp errors and its hard to spot!

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

17. tompeel1

tompeel1 New Member

I also had terminals on the psu free so used them its a bitch you have to take it out to get to the screws tho

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

18. Bart Dekker

Bart Dekker New Member

Yeah, the E3D thermistor is reaally fragile, the kapton tape doesnt really hold it in place as much as I'd like, but it works, prints perfectly, absolutely worth it!