1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

E3D hotends - US distributor

Discussion in 'Mods and Upgrades' started by elmoret, Nov 7, 2013.

1. elmoret

elmoret Filastruder

Hi there!

AccelerationLabs (the company I started to produce the Filastruder) has become a distributor of the acclaimed E3D hotend:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    (photos courtesy of adrian)

I've been really impressed so far, but don't take my word for it - here's a print with an E3D using PLA filament made on a Filastruder:

[​IMG]

and one with ABS from a Filastruder:

[​IMG]

Anyway, I talked to Sanjay (what a great guy!) and got things squared away. Here's the link to the store:

http://www.filastruder.com/products/all-metal-e3d-hotend

Both prints were done by 2n2r5 over on Soliforum.

The first 20 orders can use the coupon code "FreeShipE3D" for free shipping within the US. That brings the total cost to $69.99 shipped, when ordering from across the pond will run you $78.40 - assuming the currency conversion doesn't change much.

Hope this is okay to post here, just trying to help out some people that might be interested in an upgrade but didn't want to hassle with international shipping.

3 people like this.
  2. Das Wookie

Das Wookie Active Member

Spam much?

3. 1d1

1d1 Active Member

Actually, a lot of people are using the E3D with great success. For those who aren't, but desire a wider range printing temps for other filaments, a less expensive alternative and parts available closer to the US is great news. Hardly spam. And it does not compete with anything ROBO is marketing directly. What's the problem?

4. Das Wookie

Das Wookie Active Member

There have been repeated warnings and explanations that peddling ones wares and business on the forum is not acceptable or tolerated. My guess is Harry just hasn't seen the post yet. In the past when others have done similar he's removed the post and warned the user. First two times get warnings. After their 3rd offense they are booted.

5. Mike Kelly

Mike Kelly Volunteer

I dunno I think the spamming was only for those in competition with R3D. Like for filament.

They're offering a service that Robo3D isn't yet. I don't see any harm in it.

6. James

James Member

K I'll buy one! Whats needed to configure this new hotend for Robo use?

7. 1d1

1d1 Active Member

Nothing. There is some assembly of the unit required and then soldering the various leads in place, but it is pretty straightforward.

8. Mike Kelly

Mike Kelly Volunteer

That's not entirely true. It will heat up more quickly than the stock hot end and overshoot and then need to cool back down to operating temperature. This is due to the different material creating for different PID gain values.

I'm sure you can look up these gain values and input them if you want a critically overdamped PID

9. tesseract

tesseract Moderator
    Staff Member

Mike I think that is actually device dependent I have an E3D on my system and it heats up almost exactly the same way my original one does. I am not sure what speed you are seeing yours heat up very fast compared to the bed but from room temp to 200 in about 2 minutes for me and if i set mine to 200 it usually climbs to 200 gets to about 205 -207 less than 5% then comes back down and lowers to 200 then it is stable and wavers about every minute by a degree at most but is usually right on at the desired temp. Not sure if it is typical but have not heard what typical is so can't say

10. 1d1

1d1 Active Member

I haven't printed yet, but what tesseract describes is what mine does during testing. As I never used the stock hot end, I can't say if this is consistent with those values.

11. Kevin Bruckert

What is the advantage of this hot end over the stock hot end?

12. tesseract

tesseract Moderator
    Staff Member

if you are talking the allmetal E3D hotend the name pretty says it all it is made from all metal where as teh stock has a ptfe plastic tube in it PTFE can melt in the stock one if the temps go beyond its melting point if this happens instant clog and get a new hot end. The E3D can handle very high temps and that means it can handle many different types of materials that the stock hot end can not. ABS falls in the middle as it CAN work in both but only at lower temps in the stock version. The E3D won't have any issue with any ABS temp and it can easily handle many different materials like NYLON and LAYWOOD that DO require hotter temps without any worrying about the PTFE tube

13. Kevin Bruckert

I'm interested in whether that hot end will improve PLA prints, or if it really only matters with other materials...

14. tesseract

tesseract Moderator
    Staff Member

as far as PLA printing goes I would say no but it would help in the prevention blockages or clogs that end up in a replacement hotend.

If something should get blocked in the hot end you could be a bit more forceful in its removal droll bits etc where as you really couldn't use these to clean it out because youc ould easily cause further damage to the hot end.

So regarding PLA material specifically no. but being able to always print YES it would be better

15. elmoret

elmoret Filastruder

Now selling the bowden version as well, if anyone is interested in converting.