1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

E3D Titan Extruder

Discussion in 'Mods and Upgrades' started by RotusZ, Apr 9, 2016.

1. Marcus T

Marcus T Member

Sorry, I've been gone a few days. Anyway...

I just received my motor in the mail this morning. I ordered a 25mm motor. This is why I was modifying your carriage to work with either motor with the motor toward the back of the carriage (and the titan in front. This is the biggest selling point to me for a carriage. I want to be able to see the front of the Titan.

I just tried mounting everything up, and I suppose I need to alter the model slightly (some allowances are too small).
    I'll try to get another one printed tomorrow.

2. KTMDirtFace

KTMDirtFace Well-Known Member

Yea I tried to leave .3mm around the motor but I don't think its enough.. especially I noticed the motor touches the carriage too much. or are you talking about something else? I gave up on that one anyway..so have at it with your favorite 3d model program :)

EDIT: Still you should use Mike Kellys carriage files and NOT mine. mine is modded for larger bearings and some other things specific to my printer. He has the .step files I think http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:647798

#282 KTMDirtFace, Apr 28, 2016
    Last edited: Apr 28, 2016
  3. KTMDirtFace

I give up on ninjaflex.. I'm done.. tried everything in the book this stuff just wont extrude.

So I have the same damn problem with ninja flex on my Robo stock with PTFE tube support, my flexy struder mod and now the titan.

it will extrude 100-200mm no problem from a fresh feed... after that NOPE wont extrude anymore and starts slipping. Retracting and reloading it will extrude another 100-200mm like a champ then FAIL.

Chocking the titan up as a FAIL for ninja flex.

By the way the titan works flawlessly for everything else. ( but so did stock, and all my other mods.. I just want to print ninja flex dag gummit )

I don't get it.

#283 KTMDirtFace, Apr 28, 2016
    Last edited: Apr 28, 2016
  4. danzca6

danzca6 Well-Known Member

Well I published my mounting solution as a WIP on Thingiverse. I still need to finish the install myselft and come up with a wiring solution other than twist ties. http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:1528588 Probably won't get to it this weekend much with all that is going on, but wanted to share in case it helps any of you out. Let me know if see any issues with it. Step files are included to play with.

5. Marcus T

Marcus T Member

He also included the Solidworks part file. I can drop it into the assembly in a fully editable way, rather than as a mesh. This will make life easier. I don't know why I wasn't using this before...

I moved the motor forward about 5mm. I set it in place, and it fits without interfereing with the belts. I need to lift it slightly, as it is too tight against the carriage. Otherwise, I feel like it will work just dandy.

6. danzca6

Just note that he made the center hole larger than stock. At least larger than my stock carriage. A great addition, but in case you are designing to slide the hotend from the top, the stock won't work that way. He has some other nice touches like extra mounting holes on the sides and they are actually the correct size for M3 screws instead of needing M3.5 on the stock or equivalent.

7. KTMDirtFace

I never thought about sliding it in from the top, but noted.

8. danzca6

That's what I was going to do with my design, but reality made me adjust that idea. It would make the install easier. Got around it fine though.

9. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

DON'T LET IT WIN!

Seriously, the stock extruder can do it, but it is a PITA to dial it in.

10. KTMDirtFace

Going to re-design my mount.. maybe its the extra distance it has to get pushed.. who knows. Ninjaflex is ridiculous.

11. KTMDirtFace

Printing this out now don't know if it will work :). Probably will have too much flex.. I really don't want to print a new carriage..at least not until I can get ninja flex to work. And the mount I have now is working great..exept for ninja flex.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

#291 KTMDirtFace, Apr 29, 2016
    Last edited: Apr 29, 2016
  12. TstarkEngineering

TstarkEngineering Active Member

do you have a side picture I am so curious how you got your fan to fit with the titan sitting so far up

EDIT: nvm forgot you made an adapter from the v6 to the titan

13. danzca6

I see you have printed MK's carriage so once assembled you can just drop the hotend from the top. I wish my carriage hole wasn't 20mm. That design wouldn't work on my stock carriage I think. I do like the design though using the side mount holes.

14. KTMDirtFace

The hotend doesnt really fit through MK's hole. I tried before..it sorta fits but you have to monkey around with the angle..and remove the heater. Its just as easy to drop it out the bottom for me.

And yea it wouldn't work on a stock one.. im not even sure if it will work on MK's. I kinda just want to get ninjfa flex working before i settle on something permanent.

15. TstarkEngineering

If I fix my titan this weekend to where it prints abs, i will try ninjaflex for you as well. I have a roll just sitting in a drawer waiting...

16. KTMDirtFace

Why wont it print ABS?

I just finished printing that yellow mount thing in PETG on my titan.

17. TstarkEngineering

not entirely sure.....im working with e3d to figure out why...its doing really weird stuff....

18. KTMDirtFace

So it wont extrude anything then basically?

Whats the weird stuff its doing?

19. KTMDirtFace

Put my current one up on thingiverse..since it mostly works. ( Other than ninja flex that I can't get to work on any extruder LOL. )
    http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:1530555

If anything its an easy way to test things out without a bunch of mods.

20. KTMDirtFace

Been printing all day ( had the day off! ) with the titan and PETG.. Seems to work really well. Still have my ninja flex problem, havn't tried my new mount yet.