1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

E3D Titan Extruder

Discussion in 'Mods and Upgrades' started by RotusZ, Apr 9, 2016.

1. JORDAN MORSE

JORDAN MORSE New Member

Total newb question, how do I update my firmware for the new 3:1 ratio?

2. danzca6

danzca6 Well-Known Member

All you will need to update is the step settings for extrusion. E3D has a suggested value in their wiki guide for assembly. http://wiki.e3d-online.com/wiki/Titan_Assembly
    Have you ever updated your firmware on the robo before? If not, you will have to go here http://guide.robo3d.com/Wiki/ROBO_3D_Firmware_Release_Notes and download the appropriate firmware version. Also download the ardunno software from www.arduino.cc. Once installed you can then edit the firmware and load it.

I would suggest doing an extrusion calibration to make sure you fine tune this setting.

If you want to skip firmware updates, you can change the values using commands. Tom explains that as well in his video below.

#302 danzca6, May 4, 2016
    Last edited: May 5, 2016
  3. KTMDirtFace

KTMDirtFace Well-Known Member

This video from Novice Expert shows pretty well how to do the firmware update.. ignore the LCD parts of it but he shows how to get arduino and whatnot.

Essentially you want to find this line in the Configuration.h file, and the last number is the extruder steps you want to modify for the titan.
    Code:
    #define DEFAULT_AXIS_STEPS_PER_UNIT   {80,80,800,406} 
    By default mine looked like this
    Code:
    #define DEFAULT_AXIS_STEPS_PER_UNIT   {80,80,800,723.38}  // default steps per unit for RoBo 3D R1
    E3D reccomends a value of 456 for the titan but doing the measuring per their instructions and from the Tom's video that Danzca6 posted I found that 456 still extruded way too much.. I ended up on 406... your results will probably vary. And mine may not even be perfect ( damn it is hard to measure that with the robo's cover on lol... I would reccomend taking care of this part while the robo cover is still off. )

4. TstarkEngineering

TstarkEngineering Active Member

I ended up with 420

5. daniel871

daniel871 Well-Known Member

Must be a very relaxed Titan.

woofguy and digitalsolo like this.
  6. TstarkEngineering

yes much soo...I know kinda funny but that was like dead on at 420

7. danzca6

Maybe that is why it has the munchies for ABS

woofguy likes this.
  8. TstarkEngineering

very clever...props to you...but also so not funny lol

9. danzca6

Sorry...I should wait for the wound to at least scab over before picking at it. How is that issue going? I see that E3D has got involved over the weekend.

They finally got back to me today about the idler lever issue I had with it being too tight and said it must have been a missed step reaming the holes in production. So others might have that issue as well. Doing a hand reaming with a 5mm bit did the trick for me last week.

Looks like they also posted an issue with a last minute design change they did causing problems with 3mm filament usage and a new idler lever might be available in June according to their sales page http://e3d-online.com/Titan-Extruder.

Looks like they have had a few issues out the door. Hopefully they will have it all dialed in soon.

10. JORDAN MORSE

JORDAN MORSE New Member

Okay, I got all of this figured out... but my extruder is running backwards...? now what? has this been an issue for anyone else? Thank You very much for the help!

11. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

Reverse the plug for the extruder where it connects to the RAMPS board.

12. JORDAN MORSE

JORDAN MORSE New Member

Thank you Mark!!!

13. JORDAN MORSE

JORDAN MORSE New Member

I am running four of the R1 plus models and have all the parts to do this to all four, just want to get my head around all of it on the first one before updating the other three, I am running the E3D V6 hot end on them as well. can we turn up the max temp above 255? I see a bunch of settings in the Arduino for temps...

14. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

15. JORDAN MORSE

JORDAN MORSE New Member

so it does not require updating the firmware to do so?

16. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

17. JORDAN MORSE

JORDAN MORSE New Member

I am so confused... I have updated the firmware with a number of 420 just to see where I am at. no matter what I change the number to and "upload it" it still is extruding 175mm using Tom's Gcode of G92E0 to zero the extruder and then sending it G1E100F90 to extrude 100mm, I am actually extruding 175mm. any ideas on why? and as far as temp settings go do I have to update for just the normal 30W E3d V6? I am so lost guys. I am new to the code stuff and using the Arduino application. I know it cant be as hard as I'm making it.

18. JORDAN MORSE

JORDAN MORSE New Member

I have double checked everything and researched on here how to update firmware ect... the Robo is still extruding 175mm no matter what number I put in that area. the Arduino interface says it is "done uploading" everytime, and still no change when I go into Simplify3d and enter the Gcode to zero the extruder and then run 100mm of filament at a speed of 90

19. JORDAN MORSE

JORDAN MORSE New Member

#define DEFAULT_AXIS_STEPS_PER_UNIT {80,80,800,406}

THIS IS WHAT I HAVE IN THE CODE LINE

20. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

Well, you need to change the 800 to something less.