1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

E3D Titan Extruder

Discussion in 'Mods and Upgrades' started by RotusZ, Apr 9, 2016.

1. Marcus T

Marcus T Member

@TstarkEngineering, Please let us know how well it works with that motor. I had considered using a thinner NEMA 17 but was concerned with reliable extrusion. Obviously, it would be better to have a smaller, lighter motor for many reasons.

2. danzca6

danzca6 Well-Known Member

Stock carriage and stock hex will work. I have a mount that I am finishing that will work with either the V6 or Hex, stock motor facing front, or new 20mm motor facing back, and work with both versions of the x endstop setup. All with just one mount. No need for adjusting any current fan mounts either. I will also do a quick remix on that mount for a the 20mm motor to stick out the side. I don't see a need to angle the motor with the technique I am using. So 2 mounts, 3 options for motor placement, and 2 options for hotends. So far CAD is showing it being a go. I need to finalize some small details and test it before releasing it to the public. I want to verify everything. If the weather wasn't so great, I would be done by now. Not kudge and very workable. This render isn't the best, but I just wanted a quick post of what one configuration would look like before going back out to do yardwork.

Universal Titan Mount for Robo3d.PNG

Marcus T, WheresWaldo and KTMDirtFace like this.
  3. KTMDirtFace

KTMDirtFace Well-Known Member

Pretty much what I am doing now. When my smaller motor gets here i'll flip my design around. but for now I'm going to have the motor facing forward. Not ideal as i HATE having to contort myself aroudn the back of my printer to change filament or open it up.. I usually have to pull my printer into the other room to do any work on it which is annoying.

Yours is sitting up on blocks, I tried this( by setting my titan on top of a block on my carriage to test ) but unless I mount them flush with the carriage, there isn't enough froom for the E3D fan to fit on underneath. Even 6mm is too much. ( I used my 6mm robo quick release mount as a block to test it )

I like what you have there, but the E3DV6 fan just wont fit on under that way...as the hotend is already sitting up high to slot into the titan.

Since mine is already in pieces, I can print your file and test it if you want me to.

Otherwise i'm probably going to do what you did but with the bracket and carriage all in one print.

I fixed a gnarly jam on my new stock robo, and am printing a test bracket not to make sure it fits. then i'll finish modding it up and print a new carrage with the braket built into it.

#103 KTMDirtFace, Apr 17, 2016
    Last edited: Apr 17, 2016
    Marcus T likes this.
  4. TstarkEngineering

TstarkEngineering Active Member

Are you just using 1 hold down?

5. KTMDirtFace

I'm guessing the other screw is recessed under the motor?

TstarkEngineering, on yours does the E3DV6 fan fit onto the heat fins underneath?

6. KTMDirtFace

PS Does anyone have a wire chain end attachment point in something other than .STL? like this http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:1066680
    [​IMG]

I just need the attachment point part ( upper left of picture ) to throw into my Titan mount somehow, but I can't work with .STL files.

7. TstarkEngineering

TstarkEngineering Active Member

Yes it does that's why it was designed that way as well. Its at the lowest point it can go on top of the main carriage. Raising the V6 further up solves the problem of putting the stepper parallel but at that point the fan won't fit. That is why it is at 50 degrees. It is also at 50 degrees due to the corner fitting right in between the z thread and shaft

8. KTMDirtFace

Cool, do you want to post your file? I'll print it out. Kinda getting tired of messing with mine, looks like yours should work for me for now until I get a smaller stepper motor. That is if yours will work with the stock motor. Your picture looks like you have the smaller motor?

Also Marcus T the motormount holes are off in the file I posted earlier on the motor and the bracket. I just printed a test bracket to check hole spacing and they are 32mm apart instead of 31. So it didn't fit Just an FYI. the rest of the motor mockup dimension should be good.

#108 KTMDirtFace, Apr 17, 2016
  9. Printed Solid

Printed Solid Volunteer Admin
    Staff Member

Hey! I just had a total facepalm moment after reading a question a customer sent me.
    The Easiest and best way to do this upgrade?

Convert to bowden! Leave your hot end mounted exactly as-is and mount the extruder on the outside of the printer.

KTMDirtFace likes this.
  10. KTMDirtFace

Lol yea, Marquis?( Spelling.. ) on his Novice Expert video.... yea that looks a hell of a lot easier.

Printed Solid likes this.
  11. danzca6

Yes it is on blocks...but....If you have an R1+ or seen the quick release plate, that is what I am essentially using. So that way the hotend is not in the Titan the way they designed, BUT a simple reverse engineering of the cone shaped guide to extend to where the new top of the hotend would be and there you go. Still a fully guided path to the hotend and you can use all the fan brackets you have today. The height of the hotend does not change. I just designed a shim for the slight difference of the tops of the hex vs V6 (as well as specific parts if preferred).

Yes I am using 2 machine screws and nuts to hold it down. An M4 locknut and an M4-14 machine screw for the front of the bracket that is open and a M4 thin (2.2 mm height) screw is recessed under the motor with an M4-12 pan head machine screw. I think the same technique will work just fine for a side mounted motor bracket. That allows for the same cooling fan brackets and such to mount like stock. The motor bracket is sides and face are only 22.5mm deep (2.5mm for the face mount and 20 mm for the side supports. So when you reverse the bracket you have plenty of space for the 20 mm motor that you would need and no interference.

I really wanted to get slick with making the slot for the hotend to be like what MK did with his V2 carriage and have a wedge piece that screwed into the side for a bit more support, but I had just my hotend held with the quick release without any extruder once when checking things out and it held pretty firm.

Universal Titan Mount for Robo3d Basic.PNG

lafaspot and WheresWaldo like this.
  12. KTMDirtFace

Oh I see, do you have any renders of how you got the ptfe tube from the "quick release" into the titan ?

13. KTMDirtFace

I almost have a design, but im being held up on the fact that I need a wire chain mount point, but I cannot find anything but .STL files which are useless. I might have to print one out and reverse engineer it I guess...aka more time!

This is where I am at now. Carriage and mount will be one peice( purple and red ) with some supports. with a 3mm hole to thread a screw in for the X stop switch.

I'm trying to find a wire chain end mount that is not .STL so I can incorperate it first.

This is just temporary, when I get the new smaller motor I'm going to re-design so the extruder faces the front.

EDIT: Now that I look at it I'm not sure if I will be able to install the E3DV6 onto it..crap. might be impossible. with the red mount not being movable.
    [​IMG]

#113 KTMDirtFace, Apr 17, 2016
  14. ProfessorPinky

KTMDirtFace

Not sure if this helps but here is http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:1066680 opened with Microsoft 3D Builder and saved as different formats.
    The zip file contains
    R1_Cover_Chain_Experimental.stl
    R1_Cover_Chain_Experimental.obj
    R1_Cover_Chain_Experimental.ply
    R1_Cover_Chain_Experimental.3mf

Attached Files:

15. KTMDirtFace

Yea I can't open .stl or OBJ. im not sure what .ply is or .3mf.. basically the problem is I use a cad style program that uses NURBS, instead of mesh's, .stl, .obj...etc are Mesh's and I can't open them. I'll try the .ply and .3mf but they are probably mesh files too.

Edit: yea I can't open those either.. thanks for trying though :)

I can open them in meshmixer or 123D but my main project file is in Moment of Inspiration v3 which uses nurbs which is like solid works...its a lot diffrent from mesh based software. And as far as I know its pretty much impossible to convert something from a Mesh to a Nurbs based file.. Nurbs to mesh is not a problem.

16. danzca6

Well, let's see if I can explain that a bit. Below is my reverse engineered filament guide and modification dummy spacer. Now if you look at how the top of the hotend is supposed to fit inside of the Titan and secure that there are 3 grooves. Well, I just made a quick model of a dummy piece for those top two grooves. Put a whole in the middle for the PTFE and a chamfer on both sides for ease of guiding it in. Does that help? You are given plenty of PTFE tube. You still put the PTFE into the hotend as instructed. Instead of cutting it about 16mm out of the top of the hotend, you just add roughly 9.7 mm more to account for the addition of the dummy spacer. Then the bottom of that spacer presses against the top of the hotend. That and the quick release groove that allows for only about 3mm of the top of the hotend to stick up into the Titan, makes for a fairly secure fit.

Filament Guide Mod.PNG

17. Marcus T

Marcus T Member

Good to know. By the way, the second file type you posted imported perfectly. I don't know why the .3dm didn't, as Solidworks says that they are both supported file types.
    As for the mount, I am willing to drill my own holes if they are off. I might end up doing that with the stock carriage in order to get it all to fit. Plus, that will involve less disassembly.

18. ProfessorPinky

KTMDirtFace

Converted from STL file to "Editable Patch" to "NURBS" using 3DS Max 2016.

Inside zip file is R1_Cover_Chain_Experimental.obj

Attached Files:

19. KTMDirtFace

This one has the motor holes in the right place on the motor mockup. I printed a test bracket out with this and it lines up right.
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/hr1027cpe7sm4uw/TitanCarriage_Mount_3.stp?dl=0

I would ignore my bracket though. but the motor holes are right, and I think the mockup of the titan extruter(rough) is right.

[​IMG]

20. KTMDirtFace

Thanks for trying, its just really not possible to convert an STL Mesh file to a NURBS based model. I printed one out and will reverse engineer it. Google Nurbs vs Mesh for some info. its really hard if not impossible to convert from a mesh to a nurbs. Nurbs are mathmatical based objects used in CAD type stuff.. Mesh's are used in like 3DStudio/Maya..etc. Its possible to convert a Nurbs model to a mesh..but not really the other way around.

#120 KTMDirtFace, Apr 17, 2016