1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

E3D v6 Information, Installation Guides, and Review

Discussion in 'Mods and Upgrades' started by Mike Kelly, Oct 23, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jeff Hamilton

Jeff Hamilton Member

Started up everything again after checking board fan and it happened again. I have attached the file and here is the area when it started
    ->N6761 G1 X118.29 Y130.73 Z0.7 E483.35*59 [417.515]

<-ok [417.538]

->N6762 G1 X121.48 Y133.92 Z0.7 E483.5*10 [417.538]

<-ok [417.631]

->N6763 G1 X124.67 Y137.11 Z0.7 E483.65*58 [417.632]

<-Error:Extruder switched off. Temperature fell too much during print! [417.660]

<-Error:printer stopped due to errors. Fix the error and use M999 to restart. (Temperature is reset. Set it after restarting) [417.664]

<-echo: cold extrusion prevented [417.709]

<-Printer stopped due to errors. Fix the error and use M999 to restart. (Temperature is reset. Set it after restarting) [417.718]

<-ok [418.840]

->N6764 M105*20 [418.841]

<-ok T:205.4 /0.0 B:51.7 /0.0 T0:205.4 /0.0 @:0 B@:0 [418.849]

->N6765 G1 X127.85 Y140.3 Z0.7 E483.8*59 [418.849]

<-Printer stopped due to errors. Fix the error and use M999 to restart. (Temperature is reset. Set it after restarting) [418.859]

<-ok [418.859]

->N6766 G1 X131.04 Y143.49 Z0.7 E483.95*63 [418.859]

<-Printer stopped due to errors. Fix the error and use M999 to restart. (Temperature is reset. Set it after restarting) [418.870]

<-ok [418.870]

Attached Files:

2. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

3. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

Yes i believe so and you cant close out of that window otherwise the error will be gone snd youll have to start over

4. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

There is the actual error.
    That is the firmware seeing temperature numbers go crazy.

So either:
    1) the thermistor is bad (or just loose in the mounting to the hotend)
    or
    2) The wires to the thermistor from the RAMPS have a bad connection
    or
    3) the thermistor connection on the RAMPS is bad
    or (least likely of all)
    4) the RAMPS is bad (which is almost never the case)

You need to check the wiring.

Geof likes this.
  5. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

Ah yes temp fell to much. Just saw your other message. Check your thermistor to make sure its snug and correct

mark tomlinson likes this.
  6. Jeff Hamilton

Jeff Hamilton Member

Checked the connection to thermistor and re-tightened it down. Started printing again and it looked like it was all go and it stopped about half way through. Decided to call it quits until the new style therminster comes in. Thanks to everyone for all the help.

I have designed a new spacer for the E3d V6 for the R1+ and will upload it as soon as I can finsih printing it and testing to make sure its a good fit.

Geof likes this.
  7. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

I'm a huge promotor of the M3 Stud thermistor. built like a tank and threads in :D.
    no firmware changes
    :D just all around great

8. Jeff Hamilton

Jeff Hamilton Member

I just recently finished the E3D V6 upgrade to my Robo 3D R1+ and would like to pass on some of the things I’ve learned and problems I’ve encountered.

1) My first problem was I could not find a picture of the RAMPS board that looked just like mine. I did find one that was close enough to get me through the job, but I thought I should take some pictures to help out the next person. So after I removed all the wires I took a picture, labeled everything and uploaded it with this post.

I want to start off by saying the folks at PrintedSolid are great to deal with and they ship very fast.

2) My first mistake was not buying the screw-on M3 stud thermistor

SCREW ON M3 STUD THERMISTOR

https://printedsolid.com/collections/accessories-and-upgrades/products/screw-on-m3-stud-thermistor

That little one that comes with the E3d V6 is a royal pain to try and get just right into the hole. Also with the M3 Stud thermistor you don’t have to worry about any software upgrades to the Arduino board.

3) My next problem came when I tried to install the new E3D extruder. The spacer / quick release plate I printed really was not a very good fit and the head wobbled a lot. I had to put PTFE tape around the neck of the extruder and make some small shims to give it a snug fit. After I got everything back together I decided I could leave it like that and I designed my own from the factory spacer/quick release specs. Will upload soon to http://www.thingiverse.com/

4) My next problem came when I tried to re-run all the wires back to the Z axis. Everything made it, but it was tight when it got near the top. I would suggest buying the connectors and wire listed below so you can have quick connectors to the fans, thermistor and the heater the way it came from the factory. The wire will allow you to lengthen any wires if needed and the connectors will help to add a few inches and make removal for service much easier.

uxcell 5 Pairs 22AWG Wire Cable w JST M F Connector for RC Battery Motor

https://www.amazon.com/uxcell-Pairs-22AWG-Connector-Battery/dp/B00EZH92JE?ie=UTF8&keywords=JST Connector&qid=1464639865&ref_=sr_1_1&sr=8-1

10Pairs 13cm Long JST SM 2Pins Plug Male to Female Wire Connector

https://www.amazon.com/10Pairs-13cm-2Pins-Female-Connector/dp/B00MJVKKKI/ref=pd_sim_23_4?ie=UTF8&dpID=41pPIkc+LiL&dpSrc=sims&preST=_AC_UL160_SR160,160_&refRID=RDTS2XKK73ESZ7HYVSBG

20ga 25' Red/Black Hookup Wire 12V DC

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001JT1CEE/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

5) I also tapped into the LED wires and added a 12” strip of LED lights to the top for some extra light.

I am NO expert and don’t claim to have any great knowledge of the Robo 3D R1+, but I can tell you I am very pleased with the machine and how it works. I am also very thankful for all the folks on the forum that have helped me get through this upgrade in one piece.

Attached Files:

#588 Jeff Hamilton, Jun 11, 2016
    Last edited: Jun 11, 2016
    Geof and mark tomlinson like this.
  9. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

Admitting you have a problem is the first step to recovery. :)

Seriously though we are working on a replacement FAQ and that sucker will be on there.
    I am never going back to regular thermistors.

Geof likes this.
  10. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

The arduino mega is a standard, but on the R1+ the RAMPS board you pictured is NOT a standard RAMPS 1.4 any longer. It is a Robo custom one. Good work sorting it out. @Geof did thread documenting how to replace it with a standard one if you ever choose to

11. Jeff Hamilton

Jeff Hamilton Member

Now I have to ask, is there any reason I should plan on replacing it?

12. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

Its cheaper and more available :)

13. Michael irlbacher

Michael irlbacher New Member

Im having some problems i aint really bright when it comes to this stuff but i followed the layout of instructions given and its telling me my hot end is switched off and its reading 738 degree and its not even hot?

14. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

An unusually large temperature for the thermistor you replaced indicates an open circuit, or unconnected thermistor. An unusually low value indicates a shorted thermistor.

15. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

You could swap thermistor connections on the RAMPS for a test.In other words swap the bed thermistor for the hotend thermistor where they connect to the RAMPS

If the high reading moves with the connection (in other words if the bed now reads stupid high) you know it is the thermistor or the wiring to it. If the hotend still reads high then it is the RAMPS board itself.

Here is a picture:

Robo3D R1 +Plus Ramps Board (labeled).jpg

16. Jeff Hamilton

Jeff Hamilton Member

Geof, WheresWaldo and mark tomlinson like this.
  17. WheresWaldo

WheresWaldo Volunteer ( ͠° ͟ʖ ͡°)
    Staff Member

@Jeff Hamilton I wish I would have known that yesterday, I just printed a new clip for my Robo as the PETG one I printed is not holding up very well. Not the material, I used too few perimeters and to sparse an infill.

I may print yours anyway, and thank you so very much for also including the 3D source file.

18. Jeff Hamilton

Jeff Hamilton Member

Your welcome. This one is a close as I could get to the original, but a little thicker to fit the new E3D v6.

19. danzca6

danzca6 Well-Known Member

Life looks to have gotten a bit easier for those who hated the assembly of the current stock thermistor. E3D has made it very plug and play. There will be an upgrade kit as well for those who already have the V6.

20. Scott W. Smith

Scott W. Smith New Member

OK, so I've installed the E3D v6 on my Robo3D and got everything back together. The trouble is, it now takes forever to heat up. I've checked the wiring and everything seems to be fine there. The one time I did get it to finally heat all the way, I began a test print and it started out just fine, but the temperature immediately began dropping and Matter Control gave me a hardware error.

Any suggestions?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.