1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

E3D Volcano Discussion

Discussion in 'Mods and Upgrades' started by mark tomlinson, Dec 27, 2014.

1. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

OK, I installed this today. First, let me say that all of the parts are well done. I like the kit.

As for installing it. That was a pain in the derriere. I will add some pictures in a few, but getting the old heat block off, heater core and thermistor requires unwrapping the loom. Did I mention I hate that loom? Yea. Then getting the new thermistor attached is a pain since the wires are not the same length (just more of a hassle than a pain). The way the heater core has to go into the new heat block and the way that new heat block has to mount on the hotend leaves precious little room for the (heater core) wires to clear.

Got to this point and heated it up just to make sure the heater core and thermistor were working. Then re-do the wire loom and re-level.

I took this time to shim the pedestal for the bed. The new bed upgrade was nice, but not inherently level itself. I had added some shims to the plate, but since it was apart I went ahead and shimmed the base/mounts to get the bed level.

Still reassembling and testing, but I'll post some photos later. I will say this about how it gets up to temperature : hasta muy pronto.

Very nice. I went with the 0.8 nozzle for starters, may go up.

So in summary, it is a really sweet upgrade that is a largely undocumented mess. It is not difficult to sort out what needs to happen to make it work, but you have to figure it out ;)

3 people like this.
  2. robert sanchez

robert sanchez Active Member

Nice @mark tomlinson. I just rewired my e3d v6 and it took 2 hrs to do with new connectors, and another 1.5 hrs messing with the wire loom so nothing hit anywhere. However, I rigged everything with a connector so I could swap out between that and the volcano. I can see @Printed Solid chiming in that if you had bought his screw in thermistor you'd have been done 30min earlier ;)

3 people like this.
  3. Printed Solid

Printed Solid Volunteer Admin
    Staff Member

@mark tomlinson does indeed have the stud thermistor. Probably didn't make his build any faster this time though. We had what I'll call some shipping problems getting it to him. Waiting to see if he comes up with a witty reply...

3 people like this.
  4. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

Too soon to the work to laugh too much. How about this?

I was struggling with the fine-tuning on the prints and while it was printing fine, it was not... right.
    Kept tweaking temperatures, extrusion %, etc... Then I realized I was still slicing with a 0.4 nozzle set in that profile.

:eek:

Just so you know... There is no 0.4 in the volcano kit. It does not go down that small.

(and I didn't install the smallest one it did have--0.6--nope)

Reset the nozzle to 0.8 and it is looking at *lot* better :)

I had to drop the temperature to 190 and was able to keep the extrusion % at 100. It was wanting to get stringy still at higher temps, but this could just be a thermistor variance since I used to use 195 for the PLA with the original E3D heater block and thermistor.

What I really need to do is to start cranking up the print speeds. That was really the point with this kit I think.

As far as the stud thermistor, it is in there (I grumbled at getting it wired in, but I didn't use the fancy connector so blame me for that).
    Reloaded the firmware with the correct thermistor setting (@Printed Solid had indicated this used the same thermistor type as stock so I had to tweak that setting).

P.S. I blame the shipping problem on poorly disciplined house elves. Or UFO's... one of the two.

5. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

Here is a set of three test objects printed from left to right (order of tweakage).
    I am happy that we are close to being back to where we started and I will start playing with the print speeds as time permits. Still could stand to go down in print temp a slight amount and likely up in print speed

20150207_194230[2].jpg

3 people like this.
  6. Printed Solid

Staff Member

That would make sense. The volcano doubles the melt zone with the intent that you're running at faster speed. If you're not running at faster speeds, you can probably decrease the temp quite a bit. I wouldn't be surprised if you end up even lower, like 175.

7. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

Faster... want faster :)
    I will do some more tests with various speed settings to get an idea of what else changes.
    Overall I am very happy with this (but Oy! it was a pain).

8. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

You are totally correct. It even makes sense given how huge the melt zone is on that thing.

9. DennyJ

DennyJ New Member

I am interested in the Chimera with the Volcano added to it to upgrade my head. Is this possible and are the kits in stock? I had a problem with the stock head probably not being assembled properly and the head dropped down and it looks like there may be damage to the holder. Then had to have knee surgery so I have been laid up and got to thinking I might be better off doing the swap now rather than tearing it apart multiple times.

10. Printed Solid

Staff Member

HI @DennyJ I've got stock on all of those things. That would be an interesting upgrade. The longer melt zone on the volcano might make dual more challenging. @Mike Kelly what do you think?

11. DennyJ

DennyJ New Member

What else would I need for this? Are there any parts I would need to print? Because the printer is not functioning right now so that is a consideration as well.

#31 DennyJ, Feb 18, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 18, 2015
  12. Mike Kelly

Mike Kelly Volunteer

It'll be hard to upgrade to the chimera without a working printer. Dual extrusion has their own can of worms with oozing and the like and I feel like that large melt zone of the volcano would just compound that.

I saw someone on the 3d printing google+ group that tried to do a chimera volcano. Not sure how he made out.

13. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

Roger that. The volcano needs care to prevent ooze on it anyway. The volume of the hotend melted material is like a buffer of goo.

14. DennyJ

DennyJ New Member

OK.Thanks for the info.
    This printer is for my Daughter. She is a high school senior and is a straight 4.0 student who will be going to college in the a;; as a bio chem major and she is really interested in being able to print prosthetics for those who have special needs and I bought it as a gift to help her do this. My goal is to have it be as reliable as possible so I am willing to do any upgrades that accomplish this and don't want something that makes it less user friendly so that info really is appreciated. Not sure if this should be in a different thread but would you be able to recommend the most reliable option to make the r1 put out the best quality objects for her and be the most trouble free while she takes it away to college?

Would the e3d v6 single head w/volcano be reliable and reasonably trouble free?

Thanks so much.

15. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

The volcano may or may not add value initially (and you have to already have the E3D hotend). It does allow you to print faster (speed) with a higher flow rate (and a more consistent one). Assuming you have the E3D on there and are doing the conversion for her, it is a worthwhile endeavor.

16. DennyJ

DennyJ New Member

Thanks for the info everyone. Matt, I sent you a PM with questions on what I need to order to make sure I have everything covered.

17. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

2 people like this.
  18. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

I don't have the more extreme layering definition that they show in the video, the layers are a little more obvious, but not to that extent.
    I just may not have pushed the speed as much...yet.

19. Mike Kelly

Mike Kelly Volunteer

Tom loves his innuendos

20. bcamaro1

bcamaro1 Member

Hey all,

I recently received a volcano from e3d and my first print turned out great. I printed a AA battery holder; with the stock e3d .4 mm and it took 53 minutes, while on the other hand with the new volcano .8mm I printed the same part at 20 minutes. I bought the eruption pack with all four nozzles and will try all of them and get back you guys. If anyone else got this setup and has any configuration tips that would be useful, but I will be playing around with the nozzles and configuration myself. I was having a problem of the filament jamming , but turned out I needed a new nozzle, instead of replacing it I upgraded and love my purchase.

Thanks,
    Ben Greenberg