1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Editing 3D models

Discussion in 'Software' started by cosber, Jul 23, 2013.

1. cosber

cosber Active Member

I'm totally ignorant in using 3D and am using the time before my printer comes (whenever that is) to try to get some experience so I can do something with it. I downloaded a submarine from Google Sketchup warehouse and would like to print just the nose and tail. The model is in a mesh so while I can delete parts, like the sail or missle deck, I don't see how to edit an individual part like the main body to get just the nose and tail. Any help would be appreciated.

2. CAMBO3D

CAMBO3D New Member

I use alilbre pe (geomagic hobby)

its difficult to edit stls. in sketchup or any program for that matter.

you need to design it in its native format then convert the file over to an stl. Using a 3d cad program like above or similiar

3. Ben Lindstrom

Ben Lindstrom Active Member

Problem is Google Sketchup isn't really a good tool for be hacking up models in that way. You really want in some respects to save them as .stl files, bring them into openscad and you can then use the difference() operator. Or bring them into Blender and use a box and place it and do a subtraction on the part you don't want.

I'm sure there are easier ways. But it all depends on the tools you are using, and Sketchup really isn't the right tool for this job.

4. Harry

Harry Team ROBO 3D
    Staff Member

http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:122337
    Just made that in Sketchup. For me I have this:
    [​IMG]
    As you can see, if I have an object selected, I can export an STL.
    This is via Sketchup Pro 2013, which they do offer educational discounts for.

5. cosber

cosber Active Member

The other problem with Sketchup is the file is native .skp which can't be opened by any other 3d program I've seen so far or save or export as anything else-at least the free version can't.

6. Harry

Harry Team ROBO 3D
    Staff Member

In the Pro version, you can export it as other file endings.

7. Ben Lindstrom

8. cosber

cosber Active Member

Thanks for the responses. I looked at a couple of the plugins but I'm on a Mac and they all seemed to be for the PC version. No way I'm going to spend $600 for Sketchup Pro, but since it has an 8 hr demo, maybe I'll be able to do what I need with that. Unless I can find a student to get me the education version.

9. Ben Lindstrom

The link I gave points to a plugin that is Mac/Windows. Which is why I used it. As it is where I pulled it from initially when I was playing with a slightly older version of Sketchup.

10. Printed Solid

Printed Solid Volunteer Admin
    Staff Member

You can edit stls just fine in Blender, which is free, super powerful, and super hard to learn! If you have the time, I'm sure you'll find it worth the effort.

11. tesseract

tesseract Moderator
    Staff Member

I agree with Printed having played with Blender myself for a bit. Super power goes hand in hand with super hard to learn but if you do you won't need anything else.

12. Printed Solid

Printed Solid Volunteer Admin
    Staff Member

Also, if you're more programming oriented, OpenSCAD can do it. Also free.

13. Ben Lindstrom

I've not tried cutting models with blender, but I'm in the process of doing box modeling for a puma figurine. Hopefully I'll get something acceptable before I get a printer.

But in theory one should be able to do two loop cuts in the model and delete the vertexes in-between section then close up the ends. Depending on the model complexity may change how "easily" it really is.

The only bad thing about blender is finding a video that is new enough to show you how to use the 2.67 interface or one that start with a "this is how I have it setup." So you can see/do the exact same steps.