1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Partial Answer Endless problems with C2.

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by EvanC2, Oct 31, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. EvanC2

EvanC2 New Member

Hi. I will condense this as much as possible.

We are a school that bought a C2.
    -during the first set up the nozzle got hot and went into the plate making a hole. (no big deal, just including it)
    - a few weeks later it stopped turning on (sent a video of it to Dan and he sent out a new power supply)
    - Since then three touch screens have stopped working (two have been replaced)
    - now sometimes the RPI doesn't turn on

I have reflashed the SD many times
    I have swapped out the RPI with one of mine
    I have swapped out SD cards with mine
    I have swapped out HDMI cords with mine
    I have checked out every cord and wire to make sure they are plugged in correctly
    I have sent in tickets and not gotten any replies except for the first ones
    I have read every troubleshooting tip I can find
    I have spoken to both David Manley and Jerry Grauman who for some reason stopped replying in the middle of troubleshooting.

Assumption: My best guess based on what I have read and considering the history of this lemon printer is that there is a power problem based on a not so easy to swap out part.

Folks I am at a complete loss. We have had this thing broken and not printing far more than we have working.We are a school and really need this for our program. I just want a printer that turns on and prints something for our school.

Any advice at this point on how to fix this or to get Robo to help? I am trying so hard to be patient here but I have been dealing with this since July.

Carlos144Green likes this.
  2. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

We can help you get it going if you like with suggestions, but the getting Robo to help part is out of our hands (we are just printer owners helping each other).

@Jerry RoBo 3D might be able to get you some help from Robo (although you apparently have been working with him) he is your best resource inside Robo.

Is this under warranty, if so hold their feet to the fire to get it working or replaced? I'll guess it is out of warranty, but you will know.

While it seems complex there is not a lot going on with the printer electronically.
    The Pi is really not the brains, it is the UI :) The LCD is driven by the Pi and the OctoPrint instance is running on the Pi, but the Pi is not what controls the printer itself (their control board does that).

You can try another power supply if you can find one (the C2 needs 19v which is an odd-duck) but if your P/S is outputting 19v it is probably not the issue.

How much work are you equipped to do yourself? If we suggest swapping in a 19v stand-alone power supply can you swing that? If we suggest swapping the control board for an Aduino and RAMPS combo can you do that? Reloading the firmware?

Frankly I would have been pushing for an entire printer swap for your situation.

Let me see if I can reach out to Robo and get someone there to take a look at where you are on their side.

Geof likes this.
  3. EvanC2

EvanC2 New Member

Thank you so much for the reply. Dan told me he would send me a new printer but coincidentally, he stopped responding to me after he said that. I would love to have this replaced but I would need them to reply.

I likely have everything I need to do whatever is needed with spare parts from other projects but since this printer is used at a school I need to be extra cautious and I am hesitant to allow students to use a printer with power problems now. My quality trust is down pretty far now to say the least.

4. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

Hey there! Quick question for troubleshooting. There is what looks like a phone charger cable plugged into the raspberry pi. If you wiggle that will the pi come to life?
    If so we can find a cheapo phone cable and splice it in and your more than safe. the RPi is running 5v dc (not dangerous at all) and the printer runs 19V (not dangerous at all) the only real danger on these machines is the heater :D cuz it gets hot :D

@mark tomlinson has already reached out to @Jerry RoBo 3D / @Dan for you to see if we can get some eyes back on your problems. As far as tearing into the machine and doing some work I'm happy to face time, phone call etc etc to see if we can help you get the machine running. Where are you located? Maybe one of us is close enough to help out in person.

Feel free to PM if you'd rather not disclose your state/location in this thread

(fret not! One of us can you get rolling :D )

WheresWaldo and mark tomlinson like this.
  5. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

That 19v power supply is the small black laptop style brick that plugs into it as well. So everything inside the unit is safely low voltage.

Geof likes this.
  6. EvanC2

EvanC2 New Member

I have swapped out the PI and cords. I have a lot of experience with the PI and I wish it was a the cord. I have even tried the 3B+.

Whats interesting is that the pi does come on once I cycle it on and off a few times. So that again makes me think this is just something I can't easily reach or see in the back maybe.

RPI - As you can see, power to the unit, no lights on the pi.

SCREEN - On a side note...the touch screen does turn most of time. It just doesn't function once touched.

Yes it is confusing keeping up with the issues.
    20181017_194004.jpg 20181015_121730.jpg

7. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

The Pi is powered from a cable that runs from the control board though is it not (sorry, I don't have mine handy to go check) which would still make me suspect the control board.

I get WHY they did the custom board, but I still cheer for standard Ardunio Mega and RAMPS :)

8. EvanC2

EvanC2 New Member

Absolutely. But, until the power issue is figured out I am just trying to be safe with my students until I am sure something isn't loose or possibly not grounded.

9. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

A bad control board would then lead to all the other issues as well since if it drop/restores power to the pi it runs the real risk of corrupting the SD card and/or killing the LCD.

Geof likes this.
  10. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

Do you have a 5v power supply for the pi you can plug it in to the rpi directly and into a wall? you can run the wire out of the bottom for testing so the bed can still home. I hate to say it but I have had quite a few of those cords go back until I swapped to the phone charger cord. Idk what the difference is but made a world of difference for me. if we can narrow down if its just not getting power signal from the board or if the pi is flaky it would sure help

just to clarify. The screen (sometimes) wont turn on at all? Its controlled through the pi so those issues may be related. The not working on one touch is pretty common due to the screen type but could certainly be a piece of the plastic bezel is touching the screen. May want to double check the install to ensure nothing is there. I put something between my screen and the bezel (frame of the machine) to keep the screen from being accidently pressed.

Not saying any of these are your issues- just working through the problems one or two things at a time :D

11. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

The Pi can need 2 amps :) That would be my suspect if it is a power issue, just a weak component in there (i.e. on their control board) That is not unusual for a pi but is unusual for many small electronics.

EvanC2 and Geof like this.
  12. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

I think I tried 2 or 3 cables before I finally figured out they were all bad lol

EvanC2 likes this.
  13. EvanC2

EvanC2 New Member

Yeah I have checked that. I compared it to a pinout diagram I found to make sure everything was in the right place. However, as I am not familiar with the custom board as I am an arduino or pi I will check it again just to be sure one more time. Can't hurt.

14. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

Yes it does

EvanC2 likes this.
  15. EvanC2

EvanC2 New Member

Be mindful tho I have tried several boards now. And yesterday I tried the new 3B+ right out of a box. No joy.

And that specific pi is currently running openCV with YOLO so I know its not the board having problems with the C2.

16. EvanC2

EvanC2 New Member

BTW Mark and Geoff...thank you both so much. I appreciate you both for taking time to help me think through this.

mark tomlinson and Geof like this.
  17. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

I would be more suspect of that cable from the main board to the pi. I've seen many connection breaks (even on new warranty cables) both on the pi side (usual) and (unusually) on the main board side. Powering the pi remotely without the control board would help alleviate my thought on the cable (unless it works great)

EvanC2 and mark tomlinson like this.
  18. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

No I don't suspect the Pi either, rather the power fed to it from their custom control board. That may be the weak link OR the cables as @Geof mentioned. Crappy USB cables are really stealthy buzzards :) They can look nice and not work worth crap.

EvanC2 likes this.
  19. EvanC2

EvanC2 New Member

3 different boards I have tried (2 from my own stock) and each one has had failed power ups with the ROBO.

It makes me feel better that I have tried the steps you're telling me about. Lets me know that I am not insane and have truly done what I can to make this all work.

20. EvanC2

EvanC2 New Member

Ok gents. I will make sure I swap out a cord with one I know works. I will update tomorrow.

#20 EvanC2, Oct 31, 2018
    Last edited: Oct 31, 2018
    Geof likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.